Maestronet Forums

KUN violin shoulder rest

Lady_Susan

Okies, the problem is... I've been using a Kun Collapsible shoulder

rest for about a year now and recently, its rubber feet seemed to

have lost its grip (and it looks like the yellow rubber is turning

white...or a least opaque). Hence it falls off the violin much

easier... my only solution is to move the feet in a notch, but this

makes the shoulder rest look contorted...

So, the question is... what can I possibly do to "re-gain" the

grip.... or, where can I buy replacing rubber feet? BTW- I live in

Australia...

Cheers,

Susan

http://www.google.com/search?h...ber+kun+shoulder+rest

There are places that sell just the replacement sleeves, but I don't know if any would ship to Australia.

I wonder what effect it might have if you took the old sleeves off and maybe put them into a little cloth bag and ran the entire thing through the washer along with a load of laundry, maybe that would rejuvenate them enough to be more useful.

Sounds like the latex rubber is corroding, although a year is very soon for them to wear out. I've seen replacements for the rubber for sale at some US online shops but I don't know how available they might be in Australia. Alternatively you can cut your own replacements from rubber surgical tubing; here I find the proper-sized tubing in medical supply shops. -Steve

My Kun rest has the same problem, though it's more advanced. My understanding is that rubber, whether neoprene or any other kind, doesn't like certain atmospheric conditions that, interestingly, are also not good for humans. Regretably, I can't remember what those conditions are...too much sulphur? Something like that.

New lengths of neoprene tubing should be available at larger chemists/pharmacies. I've not bothered to replace mine yet out of sheer laziness.

quote:

Originally posted by:
sunnybear
that rubber stuff

is surgical tubing...get a foot or so and it will last a

lifetime...put a drop of vegetable oil on the foot and it will make

sliding the rubber tube on easier... be careful that you don't have

your shoulder rest on your violin too tight (the contorted rest

comment)

Thanks for all your help everyone. Sunnybear, you mentioned the use

of surgical tubing. What exactly do you mean by this? Do you

speak of the tubing used to provide patients with oxygen (ie.

attaches to face mask)... or some other sort? I work in a hospital,

so feel free to use any medical terms! lol... if possible, I'll

just "borrow" some from the stores... ... or of course I could

ask the nurses for some...

quote:

Originally posted by:
BrokenG

"Personally, I use the Mach One feet with my KUN shoulder rests...seems to work much much better."

I use a Mach One with Kun feet. We should get together on this. I find that the Mach One feet are too small and not grippy enough. The Kun feet fit nicely on a Mach One

I'm hoping that Kun will start selling the feet they put on their new Voce rest. Those are wider and more stable than the ones on their other rests and also grip the edge of the violin better. I use a Voce on my main violin but I'd like to retrofit my Kun Standard and Viva rests on my other violins with these feet; it looks like compatibility wouldn't be a problem.

Different strokes for different folks hehe. Personally I tried the Kun Collapsible and Voce feet and for me, feet like that just dont work. I by far prefer the Mach One feet...so yeah, if you ever need KUN feet just tell me and I'll trade you some for Mach One feet hehe.

I understand why some people might like the KUN feet over the Mach One feet = the Mach One feet require a shoulder rest that matches the width of the violin much more stringently than the KUN feet.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Steve_W

quote:

Originally posted by:
BrokenG

"Personally, I use the Mach One feet with my KUN shoulder rests...seems to work much much better."

I use a Mach One with Kun feet. We should get together on this. I find that the Mach One feet are too small and not grippy enough. The Kun feet fit nicely on a Mach One

I'm hoping that Kun will start selling the feet they put on their new Voce rest. Those are wider and more stable than the ones on their other rests and also grip the edge of the violin better. I use a Voce on my main violin but I'd like to retrofit my Kun Standard and Viva rests on my other violins with these feet; it looks like compatibility wouldn't be a problem.

Hi Susan,

I got fed-up with the rubber or latex sleeves. They are a really low-grade natural material like stationery rubber bands and only seem to last 2-3 years before the surface becomes crazed and brittle. (This is the action of ultra-violet and ozone for the chemists.)

I now have shoulder rests with leather grips by "supergluing" the shiny side of some old leather to the rest and leaving the uncoated side to contact the violin. This has shown no sign of deterioration and certainly feels safer and kinder to the varnish. I cut the leather from a jacket bought in a charity shop, but old shoe leather from the tongue would be good too.

RestLeather.jpg