Maestronet Forums

slice of apple in the violin case

outside

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing useful turns up in google.. seems like it might rot or mold given the conditions of the case. If you're looking for economical means of humidification, I've often wondered about using a (clean) baby disposable diaper with the gel material + some water, seems like that might do the trick

This thread gives me another idea of what to do with that stupid Christmas fruitcake. Wrap a piece in paper towel and store in the case. Probably won't humidify much but 6 months down the road when I get the munchies - there it is !

Now - should I quarter saw it or just slab cut ? I know from past experience that it's best left in the plastic wrapper if used as a doorstop.

Catchy thread heading, I like it!

As to the idea....... sounds a little drastic to me.

How often would you change the apple?

Wouldn't want anything that might attract vermin in the vicinity of your instrument or bow.

Dampit or similar product sounds a better option.

A good Catholic might sprinkle a little holy water?

A note of caution against some of the "home" solutions to humidification - I once put a entire sponge soaked with water in the case. The humidity skyrocketed and my older brazilwood bow warped - permanently. I now use the Planet Waves "egg" and it works great - just fill it with distilled water with the supplied syringe and you are good to go.

I have heard of using one of those plastic soap boxes- drill some

holes and put in a damp sponge inside or those air fresheners

that are round and you twist them to open them, the opening is

adjustable- put a sponge in it and turn the disk to the

desired size.  As for the prawn heads....they can add some

problems- since they are salt water creatures the sodium that is in

the prawn can rust the metal in your case!

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

Be serious, I suggest a small wet sponge which is wrapped inside of an aluminum foil

with some small holes. It works?

Then again we have several hundred to several thousand dollars worth of wood under our care, maybe it's better to spring for that $10-20 dampit or stretto? lol

quote:

Originally posted by: kathyk

Then again we have several hundred to several thousand dollars worth of wood under our care, maybe it's better to spring for that $10-20 dampit or stretto?

One would imagine that your suggestion kathyk would be the obvious and only sensible solution though, without resorting to the home made solutions to protect that valuable investment! Surprises me often when we lose sight of that fact folks!

Still a very fun read