Sign in to follow this  
cinematto

Bruno New York Violins

Hi everyone,

this weekend i came across this German Strad copy violin that has a

bruno New york stamp on its label. WOuld anybody know what Bruno NY

is? Thanks in advance?

A: C. Bruno was a major New York dealer/distributor of all kinds of instruments. They were absorbed into Kaman probably back in the 70's. The problem with finding information about Bruno instruments in general is that they did not actually make anything themselves, but contracted with manufacturers all over the world to make instruments with their name on them. Kaman has almost no useful records from Bruno. It is very hard to find out who the actual manufacturer is of an individual instrument. It may well have been manufactured in Japan or elsewhere. There's just no good way to find out.

A: I found a couple of instruments in the Library of Congress Dayton C. Miller flute collection by "C. Bruno & Sons, New York", both circa 1880. A flageolet and a piccolo. From this I was able to find this information about the company, which apparently still exists in some form:

C. Bruno & Son was originally formed in Macon, Georgia in 1834. The company has been in the music distribution business since then. C. Bruno & Son guitars were built by another manufacturer, and distributed by the company. C. Bruno & Son distributors is currently part of Kaman Music Corporation.*

As a major New York distributor, Bruno sold instruments of every kind under their brand name, including strings, brasses and woodwinds. These were actually made by various other manufacturers, including well-known companies. There may be further information available about the company's history, but I have not found anything else on the web.

-dogma

My understanding is that C. Bruno & Son was a musical instrument distributor who imported, at minimum, violin-family instruments from Europe for sales in America. I don't know whether they had a store front or just sold through catalogs. I know they were in business in the early 1900's but don't know their duration. They probably had luthiers who set up the imports and may have even had makers, too. Often, these distributors stuck their own labels in the violins, too.

I've got a fiddle that has the label "C. Bruno & Son 1834 New - York 1868" in it...It is a nice looking violin; not great looking wood in it but not a plain jane either...It was hand made and it looks to be a Mittenwald fiddle from my limited expertise in violin id...The lower rib is one piece and the linnings are let into the blocks....The scroll is very nice...It sounds good but not great...I wonder if C. Bruno & Son imported instruments from different sources??? Regards, Lonnie...

Ehrhardt's Book (1) has 4 pages from Bruno's catalogue of 1907, price ranges from $2.10 to $75.00.Mint condition prices for 1977 ranging from $25 to $2500, respectfully. Included are the 'E.Martin' brand instruments

Greetings Maestros.

I have one of these Bruno violins, 3/4 size with the initials HEIOL or HEIDL stamped on the top back, off centre, probably by an owner rather than a distributor. The label is the usual Strad label with 17__ and a  device with BRUNO above a crown above a harp(?). The case is wooden, coffin style.