Maestronet Forums

Electric Violins

Nemo

I was in a music store the other day and picked up and played an electric Yamaha violin on display. I must admit I was some what impressed. It didn't have that accoustic sound of course but was very easy to play and fun to see what sounds you could get out of it. Any body on this site use these? If so what make and where do you use them. (i.e. a band or church). Do you use any extra sound devices on them like an electric guitar?

I've played 5 string electric violin in the past when I used to play a lot of country style fiddle in dance music..I don't use it much any more now that I play blue grass and old time fiddle music...

At the time I was playing this music I had to have lots of volume and the only way to get it was electric, but with a hollow body fiddle feed back is always a problem...I solved the problem by making an electric solid body fiddle and making it a five string at that!!! I made it out of solid Walnut and used peizo transducers for the pick-ups...Worked very well(makes a dandy club for all the drunks that wants to start trouble) ....

As for the effects, with a good amp and a few stomp boxes, you can have quit a bit of fun.. For instance; with a wah-wah peddle you have train whistles, sirens,ect.. you can make it laugh among other things too...With an octave divider(and a good choursing effect) you can get a reasonable facimilie of a cello...With the proper settings on choursing, you can make out like your a string section... I also played it wireless so I could tool around on the dance floor...(That was a lot of fun) and too, not to mention the versitallity of the low C string....Regards, Lonnie...

Electric violins are what I do for a living! Probably my favorite is the NS Design instrument, which is my avatar. There's a huge variety out there, from fairly "standard" instruments to completely wild instruments like the 7-string fretted Viper from Mark Wood.

Technique Doc, which Zoom unit do you have? I've been playing around with a few of them and have found them to be a lot of fun.

Hmmmmmmm......Well as far as "tonal quailities" goes; this is just my take on electric verses acoustic... I'm sure there are other folks with different opinions...

You get different kinds of tone with different setups which include your amp and/or the type pickup that you use...Not much sound (or tone) comes from the instrument itself (espically in high volume venues).. This is not even considering the effects that one might use which will make drastic changes in the sound according to what you use... This holds true more so with solid body instruments than with an acoustic with a pick up on it...With an acoustic, a little bit of the natural sound comes thru but you can do so much to that sound with the electric part of the equation that the "tone" of a paticular violin becomes a moot point (no pun intended) ....

Let me say also that personally I prefer the sound of an acoustic fiddle as opposed to the electric, there's nothing that can take the place of the sound of a good violin...You not only hear the tone but you feel it also...But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when you need lots of volume, electrified does come in handy...Regards, Lonnie...

Some electric violins have built-in tone controls, but how well they work varies from model to model. The higher-end ones like NS Design, Bridge, and Ted Brewer have quite nice tone controls, but there are a number of less-expensive instruments with tone knobs that are practically nonfunctional. They seem to use a combination tone/volume control set made for electric guitars which doesn't work well with the piezo pickups on most electric violins.

Nemo, The Yamaha electric is great for playing 'silent' violin when practicing where you do not want to disturb others, using headphones.

I've used it in on-stage situations but prefer the comfort, lightness and familiarity of my acoustic using a pickup attached to the bridge. Even better, for on-stage, I like using a naked acoustic violin with a microphone on a stand, but that drives the sound man nuts because it puts me in control of distance from the microphone, and, conversely, of the volume coming over the sound system.

Have Fun,

Ken