Maestronet Forums

Another eBay double listing

crazy jane

There are lots of these instruments at the moment. They are listing them in different countries for the same sort of shipping ammount and many different 'sellers' are listing the same violin - some look very tempting but I wouldn't ever go there. How do they get away with it as it is obviously another scam? Maybe it is the same person creating many personas to get as much as possible for his instrument. But then it must cost them a bit in listing fees. Crazy.

"..They are listing them in different countries for the same sort of shipping ammount and many different 'sellers' are listing the same violin .." Screechee

Screechee,

It appears that you may be correct.

I don't understand the mechanics of how a seller could list an auction from various countries but, if anyone knows, don't explain it here and make it worse.

In any event, these crooks are really spoiling eBay which used to be a good buy/sell tool.... they should be jailed (or worse!)

eBay will be more effective with safeguarding their marketplace when the percentage of completed sales begins to drop. I know that I can sell a violin without a reserve on eBay because it is a big enough marketplace and people are willing to bid. When the percentage of people getting burned increases, then people will not be willing to bid. I am sure that eBay monitors all the key stats and benchmarks everything so they can spot weaknesses and control them. The fraud that is condoned in the violin catagory would never fly in either the Prada and Louis Vuitton catagory. Brand infringement is a big worry because it incurs the wrath of corporate types with lawyers on retainer and expensive brand identities to protect.

Fake violins have changed hands for a wide range of prices wherever they have been traded, for centuries. Most any marketplace has its scammers which make it difficult for legitimate businesses to operate-siding, used cars, Florida real estate, time share, WorldCom, Enron, medicine, vacuum cleaners, etc.

Many of my underbidders get phony second chance offers as soon as the auctions end. I have to put a warning in my listings that tells the bidder they are likley to be a fraud target as a result of bidding on my listings. That surely encourages bidding. Without the warning people have been hurt. When I put in the warning, I can notice a drop in bidding. After all, who wants to be a target?

It is not impossible to do well in used violins legitimately. Perhaps it is even easier than fraud.

J

These people are obvious in their scams and there seems to be nothing done about it. It is all free and easy at the moment on ebay. Some guy is selling a top name violin in the UK and he is trying to make out it is authentic but he hasn't even bothered to get a certificate. More crazyiness - it is only a small expense in comparison with what he could get had he had the certificate. Anyway, I wouldn't know as I am rubbish at identification but it probably is a copy.

Second chance offers are flying around as Pahdah says. I am trying to sell a few lowish end old violins and the buyers are not seeming to be willing to buy. I have 100% too. I take ages on my listings too to make sure I get as much as I can (which is a pittance) but there seems to be a lull. I hope Xmas makes up for it. If it is these people who are killing the market then I think I will write to complain to ebay as its not fair on the legits.

Well the exact conversion is15.6299213 inchs, I got this from a

website,

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm .

I have noticed this on several auctions also, the most

recent, was a cello bow, 29 1/4 inch long but only 45 grams, that

is awful light for a cello bow, plus the length is more like a

violin bow.  I think some of these people use metric thinking

that people really don't know their weights and measures are and

hoping to see if they could sell it to some unsuspecting buyer.

Yup, Jackc, that's the answer and the reason.  It's an old

Ebay trick (which I don't subscribe to by the way).

Inflate the shipping cost and list the item at a ridiculously low

start bid.  You still get what you at least minimally wanted

if the buyer bids and wins at .99.  If you get more, than it's

just gravy earned over and above the item you would have priced

normally as 110 plus 50 ship from China.

By the way, Pah_duh hound is one honest seller!  I respect his

listings and his evaluations.  So far, the listings have gone

higher than I can afford.  But the guy is honest.  No

inflated prices and relying upon the value of his

item to earn him what he hopes to get.  Cudos to you sir!

(a very new student violinist sticking his oar in the water)

The increase in Ebay listing fees and final sale price fees have prompted some sellers to engage in this practice. After all the Ebays fees are deducted only to be followed by inflated paypal fees, it is no wonder why some sellers engage in this practice. However, it is an unethical practice designed to evade legitimate Ebay fees. I do not know how Ebay handles this manipulation but I'm sure they are not happy with this deception. But in any case, this practice would certainly cause the buyer to pause and reflect, if this seller is engaging in unethical practices with ebay, whose to say he won't engage in unethical practices with me? TRUST is the name of the game on Ebay. These sellers might not understand how many potenial bidders are turned off to the item simply because they get an uneasy feeling about the seller.

It's just not a good way to present yourself or your item on Ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

I've counted five so far of that same viola.

before I saw all these clones, I bid and won at $5.00 [DUMB!]and the shipping costs $228.97 USD.

I figured on the viola being a nice copy and that the high shipping was so they can get bids and still make money if it's low.

Now I'm wondering If I'll get anything shipped to me.

I'll let you know what happens I usually don't bid on scketchy items.

If I get burned I'll just be glad it wasn't for too much $$.

The "Italian" Chinese viola came today so I'm not completely out my money. It is your typical chinese outfit. Barely worth what I paid.

It came with case and bow and is about comparable to a Samuel Eastman 100, maybe. Flaming on the back, none on the ribs. It's playable, sound is typical for the price. definately no where near the league of the viola shown in the photo.

This is a beginning/intermediate student instrument. It sports a sprayed on spirit varnish. It is what it is I can probably sell it to a student for $300 now that I put halfway decent strings on. It'll need some adjustments too.

oh well

~Linda