M_A_T_T

Minature camera for looking inside a violin?

M_A_T_T   

Does anyone know of any type of minature camera that could look inside a violin for taking pictures? Something that could be hooked up to a digital camera, perhaps?

GMM22   

A google search of "endoscope" should get you started. These devices are used for surgery, engineering, and everything in between. They are usually very expensive, but much searching might turn up something more economical.

Additonal note: Ebay shows over a hundred items under the heading endoscope.

Ron1   

Endoscopes are the best answer, and if one is careful, e-Bay can be a good source. It would pay to educate yourself about them (and their typical problems) before spending a lot of money. They use fiber-optics, and frequently hospitals, etc. will sell them when a percentage of the fibers are damaged. Small percentages probably wouldn't hurt violin inspecting too much. A diameter small enough to pass through an f-hole is needed. Some carry their own light-source within the optic bundle (because they are often used where the sun doesn't shine). Also, a remotely operated articulating feature would be very useful to maneuvure (sp)? inside an instrument. They can also be connected to cameras (digital or otherwise) or closed circuit TV monitors. New, with all the bells & whistles, they can cost many thousands of $. There are also companies that repair them and trade in reconditioned scopes.

AMORI   

Not sure I'd like to buy a second hand one when I don't know where it's been recently:-)

A plumber was using a camera of sorts at my new house recently, trying to find a leak under the shower. I'm not sure if that was a plumbers version or the expensive medical type. Perhaps contact your local plumbing supplies.

Very interesting i wouldnt mind one of those ,though im a bit worried about the 3/4" focusing distance. Would you think you could still clearly read inscriptions on the inner top,etc.....I know oscilloscopes can have a 90 degree elbow thingy on the end ,which would be useful in this case.

Inasmuch as this topic is already 12 years old, I wonder if anyone here has had actual experience with an endoscope inside a violin by now.

Many units are being offered nowadays, even outside of eBay, at very affordable prices, for instance at amazon.com:   http://tinyurl.com/yattvzj7

Several of them are less than $20 and even below $10.

This does come up every so often. I'm surprised that this particular thread has been resurrected. The quick answer is yes. There are plenty of inexpensive USB endoscopes available on places like Ebay. The one that I have is 5.5mm, which will go through F holes or endpin holes. The little LED lights built into the end of these cameras are totally inadequate for the job, so you need something like a Luthier Light to get good lighting. There are some endoscope pictures in the link.

http://www.wallindependent.com/interesting-fiddle-stuff.html

I use a dewalt inspection camera for this and other applications. (6mm version) Not great picture quality, so not for presentation photos etc, but good enough to see what is in there.

IMG_8293.JPG

50 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

<snip>…The one that I have is 5.5mm, which will go through F holes or endpin holes. The little LED lights built into the end of these cameras are totally inadequate for the job, so you need something like a Luthier Light to get good lighting. There are some endoscope pictures in the link.

http://www.wallindependent.com/interesting-fiddle-stuff.html

Wow!  Thank you for the lightning fast response with the extremely useful information, the link and the great pictures, FiddleDoug.

If it's not too much of an additional imposition, would you be so kind to give me a clue as to the make and model of your endoscopic camera?  If that's the quality of the images you get—I'm assuming that was your website—I want exactly what you have!

I just can't thank you enough.

Mason   

I have thought about getting an endoscope, but so far I haven't found anything I can't photograph with my iphone and a mirror, no matter where in the instrument I need to look. 

As stated above good lighting is essential. If it's an inscription on the inside of the belly it helps to be able to mirror the mirror in order to read it, I use a free app that allows me to do that. 

Here is a signature in the upper bout of the belly of a violin. Some shots are more tricky than others but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

August Gemunder, New York 1912

IMG_1913.JPG

The one that I have is from Ebay. No brand name on it. Kind of like this one:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5mm-6LED-Waterproof-Micro-USB-Android-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-US/401365317982?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dc41133d0024f42fb8e41e8c82c41c6c7%26pid%3D100508%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

A lot of these claim to work with Android phones now. They also claim that it's not supported on Windows 10, but I'm using a capture program called Amcap, and it seems to work fine.

We just bought one from International Violin.  The same on the link that David Burgess provided.  It's on sale right now and it's cheap enough to try out.  I just tried it for the first time today to look at a customers instrument.  She and I were able to look at a few of the issues inside her cello and it's pretty convenient and works about how I expected.  We got the one that works wirelessly with an iPhone because that's what I have.  I remember when these kinds of things were extremely expensive just a few years ago.  

Amazon has a bunch of them, looking at them, it appears to be a bunch of different vendors selling 4 or 5 different ones with their one names. Pricing seems to run from $15 to $40 - If I was in the "repair" business, this seems like an inexpensive tool to have laying around the shop for those once in a while times I would want to see something from inside as well as out before deciding on a course of treatment. But, as I have never done repairs, my opinion is no doubt worth what you are paying for it :)

At about 1:00 in this video there is good vision of fitting a sound post from the inside.  (BTW - I have no connection with this shop, I just came across their site recently not having seen it for years)

Tim

Dude, the gal rather obviously has an American accent. I wouldn't expect you do realize this from your perspective, since  I can't tell the difference between an Australian accent and a South African accent (not doubting in the least that you can do so easily).

However, American accents are pretty easy to recognize, for most Americans. cheers2.gif

Well, maybe more like half. Or maybe less. We're trying really hard to be multicultural, so acknowledging differences between races and cultures and accents is kind of frowned upon. ;)

Rue   

I was once told by an American that I had a strong Irish accent!

And here I always thought I had a fairly "neutral" accent...like your typical mid- western newscaster...

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Dude, the gal rather obviously has an American accent. I wouldn't expect you do realize this from your perspective, since  I can't tell the difference between an Australian accent and a South African accent (not doubting in the least that you can do so easily).

However, American accents are pretty easy to recognize, for most Americans. cheers2.gif

Well, maybe more like half. Or maybe less. We're trying really hard to be multicultural, so acknowledging differences between races and cultures and accents is kind of frowned upon. ;)

Interesting that you hear that.  To me it is a typical Sydney accent of a young woman of that age and SES (I work at a university and have daughters a bit older than I suspect Hannah is).  There is the very typical Oz rising inflection at the end of sentences.  The north American influence I put down to TV and cinema and overall US cultural hegemony ( I've always wanted to say that  :))

Tim

carl1961   
8 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

The one that I have is from Ebay. No brand name on it. Kind of like this one:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5mm-6LED-Waterproof-Micro-USB-Android-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Camera-US/401365317982?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dc41133d0024f42fb8e41e8c82c41c6c7%26pid%3D100508%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100508.m3226

A lot of these claim to work with Android phones now. They also claim that it's not supported on Windows 10, but I'm using a capture program called Amcap, and it seems to work fine.

That what I have to, works fine. To use on any phone you need the correct USB adapter to fit you phones mini USB port and a USB camera app.