Maestronet Forums

Movies

lupe0824

What exactly about The Red Violin did you like? It's hard to offer suggestions without a little more information. Tons of people "poo-pooed" Immortal Beloved but I throughly enjoyed it, enough to buy my own copy. If you've not seen or heard the ending re: who is the Immortal Beloved, you might enjoy it. Just watch with a grain of salt re: historical accuracy.

What's the name of the one with Hugh Grant as Chopin? It's not the world's best movie, but I'm willing to overlook that as long as Hugh Grant is on camera.

There's a French art film called Un Couer en Hiver, basically a love-triangle movie with plenty of violin scenes thrown in for ambiance.

If Imortal Beloved is considered relevent to this topic... Then I would like to recommand Amadeus for Mozart. I am surprised that no one recommanded this one so far. It won 8 academy awards!!! Not only the music is wonderful, the entire movie is very entertaining.

I think this is definitely one of the best movie ever made. I can't say how true the story is. But the production is Miraculous... Murray Abraham is sensational in the movie as Salieri. In my teenage years, I use to watch this movie at least once a week. I must have seen this movie at least a hundred times, with most of the dialog memorized. If you have not seen it, it is a must for anyone who loves classical music or for any movie lovers...

quote:

Originally posted by:
ispirati

I can't say how true the story is.

Not much, but it's a great film as long as you approach it as fiction.

Did anyone see the one about Alma Mahler? I think it was called Bride of the Wind. I meant to see it when it was released, then never made it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tous les matins du monde (All the Mornings of the World)

Gérard Depardieu

Story about the student Marin Marais, and his teacher Sainte Colombe (can't remember his actual name at the moment). The music may to some be a bit repetitive, but to me this is what music is.

There is a very interesting new French film called something like "My Heart Skipped a Beat." It is very good and is a sort of remake of a 1970s movie called "Fingers" that starred Harvey Keitel and is considered by some to be the best film he ever made.

I watched the directors cut of Amadeus the other day, and I had no

idea it was filmed in Prague. No shock there, but these

days the slightest mention of Prague gets

me excited. What an amazing city, anyway,

Since it's all I can think of... for anyone in the mood for a warm,

non-serious movie about music, check out Mr. Holland's Opus with

Richard Dreyfuss. I think it's a good story about the power of

music in our lives.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by:
Gray Violiner

What exactly about
The Red Violin
did you like? It's hard to offer suggestions without a little more information. Tons of people "poo-pooed"
Immortal Beloved
but I throughly enjoyed it, enough to buy my own copy. If you've not seen or heard the ending re: who is the Immortal Beloved, you might enjoy it. Just watch with a grain of salt re: historical accuracy.

"THe REd Violin" is the great movie that motivates me play violin seriously. I first watched that movie last christmas, and it inspired me to take lesson at Feburary 2005

This movie has some technical flaws in the eyes of violin veterans, but to beginners and verage joes, it's just fine.

I enjoyed "They shall have music." The story is not particularly extraordinary (though warm-hearted), but you can watch Heifetz in superb form performing Saint-Saens' "Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso" as well as several other numbers.

The other movie I like is "Brief Encounter." Although the story is not about musicians, the way the movie used the Rachmaninoff 2nd concerto is quite extraordinary.

T.

Without getting into the politics of the film, there's a brilliant scene in Munich in which an assassination is carried out while music drifts out the window from a nearby music school. If I remember right, it's a kid working on the Tchaikovsky concerto. That has to be one of the most effective uses of violin I've seen in film in a while. I'd love to know whether John Williams had anything to do with that, or if it was strictly a Spielberg idea.