Maestronet Forums

Violin Shop Manners

nick60

I will be in search of a new violin in the near future. I am a long time musician but fairly new to the violin. Are the prices in the shops cast in stone or is there some room to bargain. I know this is the case in many music stores. I drive a pretty hard bargain but I dont want to offend anyone

I have found that prices can even be negotiated at large department stores. When I want to test the waters, I usually just say that "this is the item I want, but I was planning on spending less. Can you help me at all?" That will get the ball rolling if there is a ball to roll.

I can't imagine anyone would be offended by that question.

Jesse

quote:

Originally posted by:
nick60

Are the prices in the shop cast in stone or is there some room to bargain?

Maybe that would be precisely the question to ask someone after preliminary nicities and a genuine show of interest in making a purchase. Shops and dealers primarily business people who know how to accomodate a customer if they can or they won't stay in the premise very long.

I admit it can be a little daunting for someone less experienced, but if you have a good musical background and know what you want it should help.

When I bought my last cello, the dealer offered me a discount if I would pay in total (no payments) and buy the cello before he took inventory for taxes. (It was that time of year.) Although it was a smaller-sized cello, so it could be he was just eager to get rid of it.

quote:

Originally posted by:
bean_fidhleir

My (limited) experience has been that they'll knock off 10%, if asked, but not more.

Depends on the instrument or bow. Depends on the dealer.

As for myself; There are some items for which I'd be happy to consider and offer (or in the case of a consignment, pass along and offer to the owner), and others I won't budge on. Either way, I am always pleased when a client attempts to negotiate, as it shows that they like what they are trying. I certainly don't mind being asked. Any reasonable offer should be responded to with a "thank you", in my opinion... even if it's not one I am willing to take.

Guess if shops want to get a cash flow or move some stock they might be more negotiable.

I was looking for a modern german viola bow for a student. After a couple of tries and a wait of a few weeks I asked again and they were prepared to let it go for $300 less.

Last time I bought a fiddle too - some time back now - I think I ended up paying about $2,000 less than the original ticket price.

Either the items were originally marked up for a little more margin,

they needed a sale,

or I was just so charming .........?

Omo.

When I bought my daughter her first cello....we drove to Michigan

to a local shop to buy this certain cello.  Well we got there

and they did not have it in stock.  They felt bad that we came

all that way and the cello was not there, they ended up selling us

the next step up for the price of the one that was out of stock.

Plus the scroll had some damage, minor scratches, and they

took off $50 off that price.  I was pleased with that deal!

Plus it was a much nicer cello than what I expected and sound

was much better than your average student cello.