Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

Michel Ange Garini?!

Thanks! Well.. I don't have a copy of Henley myself, and I found next to nothing online. I am sadly lacking in reference material, but my luthier suggested this was Mirecourt. Which is better than I originally thought, I assumed it was a German trade name. Anyway maybe I'll bid on it; besides the ding out of the scroll it looks pretty good, especially for $0.99!

Henley's lists a Michael Angelo Garani from Bologna 1680-1726. This violin does not look that old and I doubt the maker would mis-spell his name. My guess would be, although the photos are not the best, that this is a ficticious trade name for a French Mirecourt workshop violin. I have a French violin that I was told was a Garini that does look similar. Photos attached.

Jesse

Thanks for the info PH, that's a nice one there! But yeah, I figured this was definitely not what it said, I just never saw that name before. I suppose I should break down and get a copy of Henley huh!

I am under the impression that JTL made good violins, is that right? I have a 1/2 violin with that JTL logo, but it doens't look "fancy" at all.

JTL made some ok factory violins and some awful ones. The bows produced by JTL are similiar ,some ok ,some awful. They did have one or two decent makers working for them. The bowmaker Jean Joseph Martin who also worked for Vuillaume, produced a few bows for them which are quite good. A number of violinmakers passed through their shops also but work by them seems quite rare ,they mainly supervised(i think).