Maestronet Forums

Difference between Glasser Composite and Carbon Fiber

Hello:

I'm not sure if I'm the first person this question, but I couldn't find the answer by searching old messages. What is the difference between the Composite and Carbon Fiber viola bows that Glasser offers? And if the Carbon Fiber bow is superior, is it good enough to outweigh the extra hundred dollars?

Thanks,

Gopal

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the recent past (and lots on this board too)...

I recently purchased a Glasser Carbon Fiber bow from Shar. In my opinion, it is far superior to the Glasser composite bow in many respects. First of all, the weight of the composite bow varies quite a bit from one bow to the next... if you decide to buy the composite, buy the one you try out, because another might feel totally different. The weight of the carbon fiber bows, on the other hand, is more consistent (although you should always buy the bow you try regardless).

The bow I bought performs alot better than the $400 pernambuco bow I had been using, so it's definitely worth the $189 I paid for it.

Whether it's worth $100 more than the composite is a question I can't answer because I haven't tried the composite. I have, however, SEEN one, and I personally feel the carbon fiber is worth the extra money simply for the much better craftsmanship and materials. The carbon fiber bow is black and has attractive mother of pearl accents and nickel-silver winding with a good quality ebony frog (with parisian eye), whereas the composite bow is a brown color with no mother of pearl and what seems to be a lower-quality frog. Of course, appearance may not matter to some, so if that's the case, then the composite bow may be fine. Once I saw the Glasser carbon fiber bow, there was no way I could in good conscience buy the composite bow.....

So basically, YES, it's worth the extra 100 bucks.....