Repair for overvarnished violin?

Hello! Have been loving the board for the past 6 months. I'm an adult learner (31) new to the violin. I have purchased a German Strad copy poss circa 1900's off of the internet. As it is to be my Christmas present I haven't yet taken it to my local violin shop for repairs but had a strange question.

1) It seems that it has been revarnished to the point where the f-holes are bridged at the tops and bottoms by varnish. I assume that a luthier can simply cut through these with a knife, but am not sure. Anyone else have experience with this? (p.s. did not pay alot for it but it does seem to sound nice and resonate well enough, as far as I can tell)

2) Also the pegs dont hold but seem to be worn about halfway through the pegbox, which doesn't seem to be damaged at all. I was going to ask if it needs new pegs but that seems rather obvious now that I think on it a bit.

Thanks very much!!

Frank

You're right--cutting the stuff out of the ends of the f-holes is an easy job. If it's not done you'll find it to be a very probable cause of mysterious buzzes.

Judging by the "quality" (using the term loosely :-) of the varnish job, the person who "fit" the pegs may have just neglected to saw the sticking-out ends off and finish them off. Nevertheless, you might want the job to be redone by someone who knows what he's doing, or have the present ones refit and properly finished.

: Hello! Have been loving the board for the past 6 months. I'm an adult learner (31) new to the violin. I have purchased a German Strad copy poss circa 1900's off of the internet. As it is to be my Christmas present I haven't yet taken it to my local violin shop for repairs but had a strange question.

: 1) It seems that it has been revarnished to the point where the f-holes are bridged at the tops and bottoms by varnish. I assume that a luthier can simply cut through these with a knife, but am not sure. Anyone else have experience with this? (p.s. did not pay alot for it but it does seem to sound nice and resonate well enough, as far as I can tell)

: 2) Also the pegs dont hold but seem to be worn about halfway through the pegbox, which doesn't seem to be damaged at all. I was going to ask if it needs new pegs but that seems rather obvious now that I think on it a bit.

: Thanks very much!!

: Frank