First of all, I'd like to state that I practice anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours at a time. It depends on how much time I have in my busy schedule. First, I warm up by going over the scales and arpeggios that my teacher most recently assigned me, then I review some old ones, with variations in bowing, etc. depending on the piece(s) I'll be playing in this session. Then, I go over a few etudes, once again, emphasis on the most recent one. Finally, I get to my "real" music. Here, I like to mix it up a bit. I will work on a few measures of one piece, then skip over to another. At the very end of my practicing I play all my pieces straight through and maybe "warm down" by reviewing the scales and etudes. This is all on violin. Then, I might do a little bit of cello, if I feel like it, and, last, piano. Though I'm sure your situation is different and not all of this applys to you, I hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Katie (Arual)

I am working on Royal Conservatory exams, so I have a fairly definite structure to what I have to practise.

First comes scales, arpeggios, double-stops and/or other technical requirements (not all of these in each session - don't have that much time!) Then I'll work on one of two or three studies. Next comes the concerto, then the sonata, then the "other" piece(s) required for exams - again, not all of these in each practise session. Then, if there's a recital coming up, I'll work on whatever I'm preparing for it. Finally I'll end off with whatever's just fun - maybe an older piece I've mastered, or a current one I really like, or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star... something kind of mindless so I can just enjoy playing!

Lately, I've been starting off with 10 min. or so of working on vibrato. It needs practise! :-)

Hope this helps,

Laurel

: Can you all share how you use your practice time? I'm

: searching for a good one. Do you warm up with scales?

: How many scales do you do a day? How long do you warmup?

: When do you do exercises during practice?

Practising in my opinion should never be a chore. If I'm not enjoying what I'm working on, I don't seem to get much out of it.

I always start with slow scales with long bows to warm up without going into high positions. Then I usually pick a key (do a different one each day) and play major and minor scales and arpeggios in that one key. Next I do a study and then a piece. How picky I am about hard parts etc. depends on what kind of a mood I'm in! :-)

Practising is really important, but don't forget that there is such a thing as overpracticing. Violinists definitly don't need stuff like tendonitis!

Angela