Maestronet Forums

Many Questions that really need answers

Okay, I am in highschool, and i am a flute player. I posted here a few months ago to get advice on where to start with learning the violin, (i have my great-grandfathers). Thank you so much for people who responded. I went and got my violin checked out like you guys advised and the actual violin was in near perfect condition. All they did was put on a new set of strings. I wasn't as lucky with the bows. They were both made of an exspensive wood (i can't think of the name right now, but one of them might have been called zebrawood or something), but they were guessing they were a few hundred dollars each. One of the bows was warped, so they said it was basically garbage, and i needed a new one so i bought a brazilwood bow (i would of gotten my parents to pay for it but they were spending $2,000 on a new flute). The other bow they said needed to be restrung(the zebro one). I also bought new rosin. I put some rosin on the new bow and it works well (from what i can tell anyway). However, the bow that was restrung i can not get to work. I tried putting rosin on it and tightening the hair and i don't know y it won't work. I realize i probably gave you more information then you needed, but i didn't want to leave anything important out. The other thing is, my parents won't pay for violin lessons, cause they are already paying for flute ones, so i won't be able to get a teacher to help me with all these problems untill this summer when i can get a job, and then i can pay for them myself, so if you have tips on how to learn let me know (i don't want to end up having to undo bad habits or something), i will also be getting help from my friend who plays violin, but she lives an hour away so i rarely see her.

Again sorry for the novel, i just really don't know much about the violin. Thank you for all of your help, you can't begin to imagine how much i appreciate it.

: Okay, I am in highschool, and i am a flute player. I posted here a few months ago to get advice on where to start with learning the violin, (i have my great-grandfathers). Thank you so much for people who responded. I went and got my violin checked out like you guys advised and the actual violin was in near perfect condition. All they did was put on a new set of strings. I wasn't as lucky with the bows. They were both made of an exspensive wood (i can't think of the name right now, but one of them might have been called zebrawood or something), but they were guessing they were a few hundred dollars each. One of the bows was warped, so they said it was basically garbage, and i needed a new one so i bought a brazilwood bow (i would of gotten my parents to pay for it but they were spending $2,000 on a new flute). The other bow they said needed to be restrung(the zebro one). I also bought new rosin. I put some rosin on the new bow and it works well (from what i can tell anyway). However, the bow that was restrung i can not get to work. I tried putting rosin on it and tightening the hair and i don't know y it won't work. I realize i probably gave you more information then you needed, but i didn't want to leave anything important out. The other thing is, my parents won't pay for violin lessons, cause they are already paying for flute ones, so i won't be able to get a teacher to help me with all these problems untill this summer when i can get a job, and then i can pay for them myself, so if you have tips on how to learn let me know (i don't want to end up having to undo bad habits or something), i will also be getting help from my friend who plays violin, but she lives an hour away so i rarely see her.

: Again sorry for the novel, i just really don't know much about the violin. Thank you for all of your help, you can't begin to imagine how much i appreciate it.

In order to get the bow that was just re-haired to produce a sound, you need to scrape your rosin a bit with a knife or a key and then run your bow over it.

Make sure you get a good even coating of rosin on the new bow hair.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

In order to get the bow that was just re-haired to produce a sound, you need to scrape your rosin a bit with a knife or a key and then run your bow over it.

Make sure you get a good even coating of rosin on the new bow hair.

And as Al suggested [it's hard to get used to how much poorer we became by his death] do it slowly so that friction doesn't make the rosin glaze onto the hair.

Mairead,

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find Al's posts about the rosin glazing, and how to clean it off. If you have a copy, would you repost it (or let me know how I can find it (quote me the subject line))? Thanks.

:

: In order to get the bow that was just re-haired to produce a sound, you need to scrape your rosin a bit with a knife or a key and then run your bow over it.

: Make sure you get a good even coating of rosin on the new bow hair.

: And as Al suggested [it's hard to get used to how much poorer we became by his death] do it slowly so that friction doesn't make the rosin glaze onto the hair.

Thank you for the help, i appreciate it. I will try that with the rosin. Unfortunatly, our school does not have a strings section as large as it is. The only other place i can really think of is my friends new step-sister is a violin player, but i have never met her, and she is away at college most of the time. Thank you for the advice. I will let you know if it works.

Then, my guess is that when you tried to rosin it the rosin didn't grab. One of the earlier posters talked about roughing up the top of the rosin before applying it to new hair. That is what I would do.

Elaine

Norman, OK

: it doesn't make any sound at all

Hi Mandy. In a sense, your problem was caused by the shop that re-haired your bow doing an incomplete job. They should have "started" the new bow hair with an initial charge of rosin. After this initial charge, the bow will then pick up rosin from the rosin cake. And there is no reason to scrape the rosin cake.

You can charge the new hair yourself. What you need is some isopropyl alchohol (rubbing alchohol) such as you have in your medicine cabinet. The technique is to lightly dampen a small section of a rag and then stroke it across the top of your rosin cake. You'll see that the surface of the rosin melts instantly, and while it's damp (the alcohol will evaporate off quickly, because there is not much on it if you're doing it right) stroke your bow hair across the rosin quickly, smoothly, and from end to end. Rosin will be transfered to the bow hair. Stop. Wait for the alcohol to evaporate off the rosin. Then try again to stroke the bow across the rosin. You should feel traction between the bow and the rosin as the bow continues to pick up rosin. If you don't feel this traction, repeat the process until you do. Don't over do it. This process will give your bow hair an initial charge, and need never be done again until the next re-hair.

Do not get the alchohol on your bow stick or your violin, because their finishes can be damaged. If there is anything unclear about this process, E-mail me a question an I'll do my best to clear it up.

Good Luck with your violin studies!