Maestronet Forums

v-e-r-y interesting

viola-mom

Well--my two postings regarding a viola purchase have been most interesting! I'd like to thank "A. Brown", "Andrew Victor" and "Benji" for providing me with their opinions in a non-judgmental way. I am grateful. As for "Elaine" and the anti-Commie guy, I was inclined to let one pretty nasty post go, but not two! This is what am I not: I am not an investor in string instruments. I am not looking for a "free lunch". This is what I am: I am a mom who loves her daughter and wants to provide her with a suitable viola so that she can continue to advance in her studies. I am pretty ignorant about string instuments and playing, but I am learning fast! We have another child in college and I am not looking to deplete our college funds on this purchase. Because I am a librarian by profession, I believe in thorough research and in gathering as many opinions as possible. We've done so, and we've made a decision. I don't think that bringing in anti-Communist diatribes or making me sound like a cheapskate was necessary. By the way, Andy, "the quality goes in before the name goes on"-may have been RCA Victor-how appropriate is that? I'm checking it out, because as I librarian, I am curious!

+

: Well--my two postings regarding a viola purchase have been most interesting! I'd like to thank "A. Brown", "Andrew Victor" and "Benji" for providing me with their opinions in a non-judgmental way. I am grateful. As for "Elaine" and the anti-Commie guy, I was inclined to let one pretty nasty post go, but not two! This is what am I not: I am not an investor in string instruments. I am not looking for a "free lunch". This is what I am: I am a mom who loves her daughter and wants to provide her with a suitable viola so that she can continue to advance in her studies. I am pretty ignorant about string instuments and playing, but I am learning fast! We have another child in college and I am not looking to deplete our college funds on this purchase. Because I am a librarian by profession, I believe in thorough research and in gathering as many opinions as possible. We've done so, and we've made a decision. I don't think that bringing in anti-Communist diatribes or making me sound like a cheapskate was necessary. By the way, Andy, "the quality goes in before the name goes on"-may have been RCA Victor-how appropriate is that? I'm checking it out, because as I librarian, I am curious!

As for "Elaine" and the anti-Commie guy, I was inclined to let one pretty nasty post go, but not two

er, I must have missed out something, then, because they looked like quite reasonable comments to me. I didn't think either Elaine or the anonymous commentator were casting aspersions. Apparently you thought Elaine's comment was fine, too, judging by your response to it. Did something change meanwhile??

It seems a pity to have unhappiness here, especially if it's all down only to a misinterpretation or so.

: Well--my two postings regarding a viola purchase have been most interesting! I'd like to thank "A. Brown", "Andrew Victor" and "Benji" for providing me with their opinions in a non-judgmental way. I am grateful. As for "Elaine" and the anti-Commie guy, I was inclined to let one pretty nasty post go, but not two! This is what am I not: I am not an investor in string instruments. I am not looking for a "free lunch". This is what I am: I am a mom who loves her daughter and wants to provide her with a suitable viola so that she can continue to advance in her studies. I am pretty ignorant about string instuments and playing, but I am learning fast! We have another child in college and I am not looking to deplete our college funds on this purchase. Because I am a librarian by profession, I believe in thorough research and in gathering as many opinions as possible. We've done so, and we've made a decision. I don't think that bringing in anti-Communist diatribes or making me sound like a cheapskate was necessary. By the way, Andy, "the quality goes in before the name goes on"-may have been RCA Victor-how appropriate is that? I'm checking it out, because as I librarian, I am curious!

I scrolled down and read the "Commie" post you refer to, but I have to side with the poster, they have given you what appears to be honest, straightforward advice that does not (to me at least) look as though it was intended to make fun of you or misdirect your energies. I think you might do well to chill out, and accept that people may be trying to answer your question from many different points of view, all the while concerned for your best interest.

Best Wishes

I think it's wonderful that you've been taking such an active role in your daughters music education, and I find it very admirable that you're devoting so much time and effort to researching your next purchase. There are so many parents out there who don't appreciate the importance of music in their children's lives. This is particularly disheartening considering public schools in the U.S. are currently in the practice of cutting funding for music and art education in favor of programs that don't teach our children true humanity....

Your daughter will excel in the art of viola-playing no matter what instrument she chooses because she has a genuinely supportive, interested, and encouraging mother.

Best of luck to you and her....

: I think it's wonderful that you've been taking such an active role in your daughters music education, and I find it very admirable that you're devoting so much time and effort to researching your next purchase. There are so many parents out there who don't appreciate the importance of music in their children's lives. This is particularly disheartening considering public schools in the U.S. are currently in the practice of cutting funding for music and art education in favor of programs that don't teach our children true humanity....

: Your daughter will excel in the art of viola-playing no matter what instrument she chooses because she has a genuinely supportive, interested, and encouraging mother.

: Best of luck to you and her....

Thank you so much! I admit I was feeling a bit over-sensitive about this whole issue and your reply just made my day! My husband and I are very proud of our wonderful daughter-no she is not a prodigy, just a hard-working, faily talented nice kid. As for me, I truly love music. Don't know why but I quit piano lessons as a teenager and just started again last year after a lapse of well over 30 years! I'm pretty bad, but I love it! Best of luck to you with your playing too.