Maestronet Forums

dampit in violin :o(

Sheila

One of my young students came to her lesson today

and she has a dampit down inside her violin. Another violin student at school

had offered to help put it in and the two of them, ages 10 years old, put it in alright..

all the way :)(

I tried to use some surgical forceps I have here at the house,

but the violin is a 3/4 and the f holes

are just too small. Even if I get hold of it I cannot drag it through.

It will have to come out from the end.

Do any of you have any ideas as to what I can use to get it out?

I hope we do not have to have the top taken off.

Hi Sheila,

This might sound risky and the dampit will be destroyed in the process, but you might take an exact-o knife or some other slender, sharp, pointy object (a really long sewing needle, maybe, or even something with a slight hook on the end?), maneuver the dampit so that the end of it is reachable through the f-hole, and spear the dampit near the tip, and pull it out slowly? That way you don't have to worry that the tool you are using will add to the diameter of the dampit past the size of the f-hole.

Maybe you could somehow take a piece of wire and bend it into what you need... Losing a dampit will probably be less trouble than taking the top off the violin.

Hope you can get it out!!

Irene

: One of my young students came to her lesson today

: and she has a dampit down inside her violin. Another violin student at school

: had offered to help put it in and the two of them, ages 10 years old, put it in alright..

: all the way :)(

: I tried to use some surgical forceps I have here at the house,

: but the violin is a 3/4 and the f holes

: are just too small. Even if I get hold of it I cannot drag it through.

: It will have to come out from the end.

: Do any of you have any ideas as to what I can use to get it out?

: I hope we do not have to have the top taken off.

Hi Sheila:

This problem has arisen many times....we turn the violin upside down, then use a post setter to position the dampit end for the needle nose pliers to pull it out. It will take some shaking and a sore neck to get the dampit there in the first place.

As you know, be careful in touching the ff hole edges with the pliers....and don't force things!!

Have MORE fun (grin)

Al

don't go down the slippery slope. these suggestions of advances maneuvers for removing the dampit are silly. you're likely to damage the violin in the process. leave it there until you have occasion to have the violin at a repaair shop, and then the repair person can extract it easily without harming the instrument.