Balance problem

Joey

My G and D are not powerful enough, and yet the A and E are too loud. What can I do to fix the problem so that all strings are in equal balance of tone? I use Obligato strings which are nice, but the problem still remains. Would bridge height, sound post setting, or humidity make a difference? Or better yet, might there be something wrong with my bow hair? My bow is a brazilwood Erich Steiner from Ifshin's, and I've been using alcohol to clean my strings. Should I have to wait a while after I use the alcohol to play the instrument in fear that the alcohol may come in contact with the bow hair. (And no, the alcohol does not spill on the instrument itself.)

Thanks in advance,

Joey

My first guess would be that your soundpost is over too far toward the E string. However, if it is there, it may be too short to support the bridge if you move it toward the lower strings (where it might improve the tonal balance of your instrument), and a new soundpost may be needed.

If you have not done this before, and if you don't know how to do it, now is not the time to start. However, theer are books around to help maintain your instrument, but the search for them is part of the necessary training, so I woun't give you any more clues than that.

Andy