Maestronet Forums

im just begining help me

mike

: hi i just got a violin and i want to learn how to play it ive bin playing guitar for 3 years now i dont know if that helps at all but i need help please help me give me pointers chords music anything please help asap!@

I'll repeat the "Get a Teacher" advice - just holding the violin properly is a challenge!

Also - don't expect any real carryover from the guitar; they are different instruments, tuned differently, finger position is different, etc. etc. In other words, ignore the physical aspect of playing guitar when learning the violin.

Good luck!

Laurel

I'm one step behind you.... I have wanted to take up violin since I was very young (I know flute, clarinet, sax), but our music teacher did not know strings. I am 29 now and have the money and time to actually learn. Only one major problem, I've had several people rave about an instructor, but I don't have an instrument. A friend of mine got a nice violin at ebay.com, and I'd also like to get one used but I have no idea what to look for. Any advice?

: I'm one step behind you.... I have wanted to take up violin since I was very young (I know flute, clarinet, sax), but our music teacher did not know strings. I am 29 now and have the money and time to actually learn. Only one major problem, I've had several people rave about an instructor, but I don't have an instrument. A friend of mine got a nice violin at ebay.com, and I'd also like to get one used but I have no idea what to look for. Any advice?

I went into a (reputable!) music store and got a "student outfit", consisting not of clothing but of the violin, bow and case. A good store will give you a few (3 or 4) choices and the corresponding prices. I'd also advise renting-to-own, at least to start; that way your instructor can evaluate the instrument without your having spent lots of money on it.

Hope this helps!

Laurel