Maestronet Forums

Fine Tuners....

Roj Avon

Hello Roj:

Fine tuners are best used with steel strings. Perlon and gut strings won't work because the tuners can and will cut the string in two.

Fine tuners weigh the system down behind the bridge, causing a muting, of sorts, to the sound.

If you must have fine tuners, the best thing to do is install a Whittner tailpiece. This is a metal alloy device, weighs about the same as a wooden tailpiece, and has fine tuners built in. The prongs on the tuners will accept any kind of string and won't cut them.

Another thing: it is impossible to get the after length harmonics right with normal fine tuners. The Whittner gives more length after the bridge to the tailpiece. Violins perform much better.

Have fun,

Al

Thanks for the answers. Between your answers and those I got on BAVS I've pretty much discarded the idea of getting fine tuners for the other three strings. I had just been wondering why they weren't used on all strings more often.

I'm getting better at adjusting the pegs over time. My A tends to be a bit stubborn though when it comes to getting it spot on with my tuner. Like most things violin though it gets easier with time.