Tarisio auction catalogue up

I am glad it was put on. I had a great time looking at the pictures and reading the discriptions. I even saw a real LeFleur, of which my own Rodney Mohr bow I use is a copy.

There are many who post here and ask how to tell this and that violin from this and that and the same with bows. Studying these pictures and discriptions is not a course in violin identification but study the details of the scrolls, f holes, shapes, varnish color ranges, might be a start in the right direction.

Sheila,

I am glad that you enjoyed the catalogue. I think that you can rely on the items being correct, so your studying of the pictures will be time well spent.

I wish I could say that the other auction catalogues were as reliable, but, nevertheless, attending auctions and seeing instruments in reliable dealers showrooms remains the best way to learn.

: I am glad it was put on. I had a great time looking at the pictures and reading the discriptions. I even saw a real LeFleur, of which my own Rodney Mohr bow I use is a copy.

: There are many who post here and ask how to tell this and that violin from this and that and the same with bows. Studying these pictures and discriptions is not a course in violin identification but study the details of the scrolls, f holes, shapes, varnish color ranges, might be a start in the right direction.

: : Forgive me for the commercial anouncement, but the Tarisio auction catalogue is now available to view at: www.Tarisio.com

: : We have about 240 items listed all with photographs.

I for one don't mind a small quantity of such announcements from the very advertisers that pay the bills for this site.

I, too enjoyed the web site and will spend a lot

more time looking at it.

My question is this; how can they dare to auction

off an instrument for $10,000 that isn't even set up??!!

I can't imagine buying an instrument for that price

without knowing if it was a dog or not!

thanks

Mimi

Mimi,

We wouldn't expect a player to buy a violin that is not set up, but dealers often do buy that way because they can tell, to some degree, what the instrument generally "should" sound like after it is restored or set up. This comes from their experience with different makers, models, wood and varnish.

: I, too enjoyed the web site and will spend a lot

: more time looking at it.

: My question is this; how can they dare to auction

: off an instrument for $10,000 that isn't even set up??!!

: I can't imagine buying an instrument for that price

: without knowing if it was a dog or not!

: thanks

: Mimi