Maestronet Forums

AMATI (Nicolas Amatus)

I also have a violin which has a Nicolaus Amatus fecit Cremona 16 label inside the violin. I sent several pictures of this violin to Christie's Auction house. A representative stated that the violin was one made in Germany around the 1800's and its estimated value was $1000.

I also have a violin which has a Nicolaus Amatus fecit Cremona 16 label inside the violin. I sent several pictures of this violin to Christie's Auction house. A representative stated that the violin was one made in Germany around the 1800's and its estimated value was $1000.

• 2 weeks later...

: :

: : : I have found a violin with a label inside that reads "Nikolaus Amati" and below that it says that it was made in Germany. Please E-Mail me if you have any information on this violin.

: : : Ronny O'Brien

: : : THEOBRIENS@telplus.net

: : I have the same one. It belonged to my Grandmother that gre wup in Houston Texas it is real old

: I have A violin that is also marked Nicolaus Amatus fecit in Cremona #1645 and would appreciate any body that could

: tell me about the person that made it or any thing about it

::Mine sounds like many of yours except for one thing. On the black part below the fingerboard, where the tuners are, there is a rose made of a stone. Probably abalone. It is dated 1637. It's in the origional case with the bows. The bows have the same stone, plus silver. The label reads "Nikolaus Amatus fecit in Cremonia 1637". It is all printed except the 37. The stone is why I think it's unique. Can anyone help me on this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

: I also have a violin which has a Nicolaus Amatus fecit Cremona 16 label inside the violin. I sent several pictures of this violin to Christie's Auction house. A representative stated that the violin was one made in Germany around the 1800's and its estimated value was $1000.

jean were you able to sell your violin?

• 2 weeks later...

We have just unearthed a violin from my mothers attic which also has Nicolaus Amatus Cremonen. The rest of the label (which is very faint) appears to read:

filius antonii Frepps, fecit il. The violin is an amber colour and in very good order - despite looking very "handled" along the fingerboard.

Am I looking at an original or a German copy?