Maestronet Forums

violinist looking for fundraising ideas

Janelle

Hi, I am a fifteen year old violinist in the International Youth Symphony Orchestra (IYSO) and am going with the orchestra to Europe this summer. The catch is that I have to raise $3000 for the trip. I have been babysitting, housesitting and building doghouses with my dad in order to pay for the trip. But I need to find some better ways. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts. Some of the other kids in the orchestra have looked for sponsors from businesses, but they say that they don't get much response because the businesses get a lot of people asking for things like that. Besides, it's kind of like begging. I live close to Ann Arbor, MI, if that helps. I would welcome any and all ideas.

: Hi, I am a fifteen year old violinist in the International Youth Symphony Orchestra (IYSO) and am going with the orchestra to Europe this summer. The catch is that I have to raise $3000 for the trip. I have been babysitting, housesitting and building doghouses with my dad in order to pay for the trip. But I need to find some better ways. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts. Some of the other kids in the orchestra have looked for sponsors from businesses, but they say that they don't get much response because the businesses get a lot of people asking for things like that. Besides, it's kind of like begging. I live close to Ann Arbor, MI, if that helps. I would welcome any and all ideas.

Here in the Seattle Area, we have talented kids busking

at fairs and festivals. THey set up their stand

and their case and play. People put money in the case

as they walk by. If you stick to it, you

can make quite a bit. It IS like begging, but

when people clap and put $$$ in your case, it's

rewarding.

: Hi, I am a fifteen year old violinist in the International Youth Symphony Orchestra (IYSO) and am going with the orchestra to Europe this summer. The catch is that I have to raise $3000 for the trip. I have been babysitting, housesitting and building doghouses with my dad in order to pay for the trip. But I need to find some better ways. I was wondering if any of you have any thoughts. Some of the other kids in the orchestra have looked for sponsors from businesses, but they say that they don't get much response because the businesses get a lot of people asking for things like that. Besides, it's kind of like begging. I live close to Ann Arbor, MI, if that helps. I would welcome any and all ideas.

I am also in a similar situation to you. In the summer my orchestra is doing a tour of north america (including a trip to ann arbour).

On Saturday the whole orchestra took part in a sponsered fiddle marathon playing for 12 hours. In total we raised over £4000 to subsidise individuals flight fees

Mail me if you would like more details

: Have you thought of doing a "practice-a-thon"? It works like Jump Rope for Heart. You go around to friends and neighbors and ask for pledges. They pledge a penny, nickle, dime or quarter for every minute you practice over a specified period of time - say 2 months. Then, you go back and collect when the 2 months are up. When you add up all the minutes and all the pledges, it can mount up. Good luck in your efforts. This is a wonderful opportunity for your orchestra.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are in Ann Arbor, have you tried to get SHAR music catalog to sponser you? It would make a great story for them to run in the catalog (especially some "letters home" that you could write to them for publication talking about the wonderful time you're having). Also churches, Rotary clubs, and other civic organizations often help young students. You should not be afriad of approaching them to ask! The worst that can happen is that they will politely saw no and you are no worse off. Remember, many of these organizations have money to give to worthy causes, they just need to find the "right" cause. Also, if you have a relative or friend in the Shriners, sometimes they can help a "local youth". You might even try your own school or get the local paper to run an article. Or try playing some easy "light classical" pieces (Suzuki books 2 and 3 work well) in a local nice restaurant for tips (put a sign up telling people what the tips are going towards). Good luck! Kathleen