Maestronet Forums

DONT studies Op. 35

Maestro

I have a question about the study No. 19 in the DONT op.35 and I was just wondering if anybody could help. I have fairly big hands and don't have any problems with playing 10ths or fingered octaves, but I am really struggeling with the (I think) the 2nd bar of this study where he's written C (1st finger on G string, 3r position) A (2nd finger on D) F (3rd finger on A string) and F octave (4th finger on E String!!). It's this octave with 3rd and 4th finger (while I have to keep my 1st and 2nd finger down ) that I can't reach and I can't see how anybody else would do it.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks.

: I have a question about the study No. 19 in the DONT op.35 and I was just wondering if anybody could help. I have fairly big hands and don't have any problems with playing 10ths or fingered octaves, but I am really struggeling with the (I think) the 2nd bar of this study where he's written C (1st finger on G string, 3r position) A (2nd finger on D) F (3rd finger on A string) and F octave (4th finger on E String!!). It's this octave with 3rd and 4th finger (while I have to keep my 1st and 2nd finger down ) that I can't reach and I can't see how anybody else would do it.

: I would appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

: Thanks.

:

BS-S: I hadn't done that one yet so I had to go try. The way to do this is extend the wrist back for the violin, jut the left elbow from underneath the fiddle, and extend the pinky to the furthest point. Now I tend to keep my fingers very sqaure and the pad so I'm able to keep my first, second and third fingers curved without stress. I would treat the first three notes as a chord placing the bottom two down first then third, then extend extending the fourth.

Good luck and remember, we're lucky this passage is in third position instead of first, then the stretch would be much more difficult. If you think this is bad, wait till the Paganini Caprices:-0.