Maestronet Forums

String Hieght Clearance Question!

I am a luthier and have cut a few bridges for violins but I still don't know what the correct string height for perlon strings above the fingerboard. I have found many books that refer to gut strings and steel strings but none of them mention synthetic. Does any one know what the correct height for perlon strings are on a violin (classical set-up), or would they be the same as gut?

:

: I am a luthier and have cut a few bridges for violins but I still don't know what the correct string height for perlon strings above the fingerboard. I have found many books that refer to gut strings and steel strings but none of them mention synthetic. Does any one know what the correct height for perlon strings are on a violin (classical set-up), or would they be the same as gut?

Since I have used gut and perlon strings interchangeably on several violins, without changing bridges, I assume that the rules for bridge height are the same.

Same for cello too - in fact, on 'cello my experience going from gut to steel A strings involved no changes to the bridge either (that was long ago).

A. Victor

:

: I am a luthier and have cut a few bridges for violins but I still don't know what the correct string height for perlon strings above the fingerboard. I have found many books that refer to gut strings and steel strings but none of them mention synthetic. Does any one know what the correct height for perlon strings are on a violin (classical set-up), or would they be the same as gut?

String height is about the same for all types of strings. All steel can be slightly lower than normal. For the professional, height is about one mm. higher than normal. Normal height is 3mm. at the "e" and 4mm. for the "g", violin, above the fingerboard at the end. Viola is 4mm at the "a", 5mm at the "c"; cello is 6mm. at the "a" and 9mm. at the "c"