Sign in to follow this  
Chris Chen

What motivates you to practice?

You need to go out and listen to a lot of stuff which is just slightly out of reach from your current level. One major source of motivation for me at some point in the past were the Centone di Sonate from Paganini (for violin and guitar). I have a guitarist friend and we'd half-joke about practicing this to go play together in the subway (although I think we'll end up doing it). I got hold of the partitions at a time when I didn't even venture in the positions above the 1st.

Now that I have done that, I am nearly ready to start practicing them. I would have started it, if my attention wasn't already focused on many other things, such as a Wohlfhart étude, a double stops étude, and suzuki books.

I don´t play just what my teacher wants me to play, but I play the music that I like. That can be a song from Jimi Hendrix or Clapton or something else. And I have a lot of fun playing in a band. So I know when I get better it´s good for the band. Just have fun with the music.

When I see a good violinist (bad violinist might motivate me, but I don't know that for sure) playing or practicing, I get motivated. But I don't get motivated by listening to recordings. I have to be able to associate the sound with a 'real' person.

Right now, nothing. Finished my hellish exam (actually it was the scheduling nightmares which p***ed off my teacher that did it, not the exam). Plus we have our new puppy (see earlier post "New Practising Companion" for appropriate gushing!) who is of course taking lots of attention. (He's becoming a fairly well-mannered pup if I do say so myself, so the time and attention are paying off). It's kind of nice to take a break in the summer, too.

Laurel

I am inspired by good players. When I hear them play something I really like, I'll go out and buy the music for it. Yeah, it may be way, way, way too advanced for me. Today, I can play 4 notes of it. Next week, maybe I can play 6. One day, I'll be able to play the whole thing. It may still sound bad to someone really good, but it'll satisfy me. And that's all that counts.

I also break up my practice time. If I get bored with what I'm supposed to practice, I'll do the equivalent of reading a trashy novel....I play junky fun stuff and improvise alot. Then after awhile, I've gotten it out of my system and go back to what I'm "supposed" to be doing.

Nothing is more inspiring than a really good practice session. Ending on a well-played note makes it much easier to pick up the violin the next time.

Elaine

Norman, OK

I think it depends on how much you HAVE to practice. I've got lots of stuff...I practice about 2 hours. Judge it by that, and if you WANT to practice more, make everything PERFECT. See how long that takes.

What motivates you all to practice? I have a hard time practicing because I get bored so easily and my teacher is really laid-back and doesn't really care that much about how much I practice. How can you all practice for more than an hour?!?!?

just the sheer love for music should propell you to practice. i practice because i want to be able to run through my music effortlessly.

even when you don't "feel" like practising, you should always do some scales and etudes. that makes it easier for the next day (it's a strange phenomenon, your fingers will be more "alert") when you do feel like spending an hour or so on a concerto.

Helping my daughter - although she hasn't realised it yet smile.gif

Her current (about to be fired) viola teacher hasn't given her any etudes, scales or other basics at all in the past six months - just pieces (although she does do a bit of Kreutzer on her own initiative).

My daughter is playing very well, but I don't believe in neglecting the basics - and a bit of work on intonation, etc, certainly won't do her any harm.

So, a little while ago, I picked up the violin for the first time in about six years and started to play again. Of course, I'm starting with scales and etudes and "need my daughter to play them with me to help me out" smile.gif

She wouldn't pick up Schradiek or Sevcik on her own, but thinks it's fun to play them to help her mother out!

Because I can hear the music I want to play within. The more I practice, the closer I become. The "greats" inspire, players in person ignite the greats, and I guess all I want is to be able to bring my hands to the violin and play, to meet "with them."

(does that make sense?)

Heidi

I practice more when I have a lesson coming up. I practice in general because I can't help it. I practice more what I like. I wish I could practice what I don't, like my Wolfhardt (sp).

i don't think there's much philosophy in this

my teacher used to tell me :

you practise because you want to practise

you perform because you want to perform

you DON'T practise to perform....

Chris - if you're serious about it, get a new teacher!

I practice because I love to play. As a studnet I practiced the number of hours I did because I wanted to improve. I find that scheduling performances can be very motivating. Find places to play and go do it. It's the only way to truly learn how to perform and it keeps you working for something.

Having a teacher that you respect and even perhaps slightly fear going in unprepared to could help.

And of course I disagree with Krystian. I practice because I like to play, but ever present in my mind is always that desire to perform. I think you must practice preforming, once you've learned the piece you must learn how to perform it.

[This message has been edited by DR. S (edited 07-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DR. S (edited 07-31-2000).]

What motivates me to practice? Well, first of all, I practice because I love the fiddle and I can't get enough of it. It seems as if there is nothing more important in the world to me. Also, I practice because I want to get a larger repitoire.(sp?) I am also inspired to practice by seeing and hearing other musicians. I also have some good friends that I jam with and they motivate me because they always have some new tune or something for me to learn. I am very grateful to them. I practice because I like to learn. When I first started taking lessons, I hated to practice. I never wanted to practice because it was boring at the time, but I realized that it was boring to me because I wasn't practicing the kind of music that I liked. I was practicing the music that my teacher liked. Now that I am practicing what I love, I am much more happier. I suggest you find the music you love and practice that. Just a thought, Journey