Maestronet Forums

Question on finger pressure and violin correction

Samantha

I have just had my violin adjusted by a maker. The tailpiece has been shortened, and the soundpost was corrected. It sounds brighter, but now I have to use either more left finger pressure or bow pressure for some reason. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there any thing wrong with the violin?

Thanks in advance

Samantha

Samantha: I know about violins, and I know you do not need that much pressure on the violin strings. You need to be able to play the notes real fast, how can you do that if the strings are adjusted like yours are? Take it to a different violin shop.

I have the same proplem with a mandolin I borrowed. I decided I wanted to learn to play a mandolin, because the strings and notes are same as a violin, but I am about to give it up, because the amount of finger pressure that it takes to press down on the strings are more than my fingers are willing to give. I think the strings could be adjusted, but the person I borrowed it from says "oh no" it supposed to be that way, "Leave it alone," I just can't hardly believe it's right. I am going to have to do what I think you should do and that is just go some place else.

Millicent