Maestronet Forums

Violin hickey or tumor?

Samantha

You should see a doctor. It is my understanding the violin hickey starts as a chronic irritation which can develop into a number of local skin conditions over time as it heals, gets re-irritated etc. I have noticed them on several well-known professionals. A professional violinist I know recently had one removed as a tumor. This does not mean they are all tumors. Her son began in childhood but quit many years ago, still that spot still doesn't "shave right". It is a misconception to regard it as some sort of badge of honor. It is a mechancal problem to be avoided.

: Does any one's kickey have a little lump beneath the skin? Previously, someone had mentioned something about violin hickey turning to tumour. I suspect my hickey has turned into a tumour. Or is it just a hardened skin?

Could be a deep zit, too. I get those.

: Any response would be appreciated!!

: Samantha

I am a teacher in Boulder Colorado and had a student who had a lump under the skin. It turned out to be a pea-sized cyst which the doctor removed with a local anesthetic. Hope this helps: : Does any one's kickey have a little lump beneath the skin? Previously, someone had mentioned something about violin hickey turning to tumour. I suspect my hickey has turned into a tumour. Or is it just a hardened skin?

: Could be a deep zit, too. I get those.

: : Any response would be appreciated!!

: : Samantha

Samantha,

I got one too over my left neck area, and the hard skin, if you do not feel pain, is only from hardening of the tissues underneath, a normal reaction -- just like your feet getting a corn from misfit shoes. The overlying skin is also somewhat reddish, from chronic skin inflammation, and the color is especially marked during winter, and it is embarrassing that everybody who sees it thinks that they are kiss marks!! This thing has been with me for at least 20 years, before I was a doctor, and when I had this problem initially, I was also bothered if it was a tumor, so that I visited a doctor. I suspected then that it was due to the chronic irritation from playing the violin. I am a doctor for more than 10 years now, and I can be pretty sure that my initial impression 20 years ago was correct. But I remember very clearly that when I suggested this etiology to the doctor, the doctor did not even bother to hear it seriously. He is actually ignorant despite the reputation he got. Recently, I have been giving attention to it again, because of the impression of others being kiss mark. I have started to apply some steroid cream on it. And ever since, I have always use a soft foam or a soft cloth placed under my left chin and mandible to prevent further irritation. But as I have said, it is a chronic irritation, and it will also take some time before the mark return to normal. Or maybe, one need some bleaching of the skin, because during the skin inflammation, just like any wound, the skin tends to absorb more sunlight that the normal skin, and it tends to make the skin darker, so that it becomes permanent. For comparison, just note an abrasion, when it heals it is usually darker than the peripheral normal skin, because the wounded skin tends to absorb more sunlight, resulting to darker pigment. That is why I always warn my patients who have abrasions, especially over the face, to avoid sunlight for at least 2 weeks post-injury. On consulting your doctor to rule out any other serious illness, or benign disease like a sebaceous cyst developing on that area, be sure to get the right doctor, who hears and think, preferably a doctor who also plays the violin.

Hope this help.