Maestronet Forums

Best violinist in 20th century?

yuriy

Nobody meantioned Josef Hassid. If he had lived longer, I have a feeling he would have been the legend whose shadow Heifitz lived under... But who knows? Also, how about Milstein, amazing player, and along the same lines, Aurthur Grumiaux.

Adean

: who do you consider the best violinist of the 20-th century????

This seems to be extremely reminiscent of a string that was on this board several months ago. You mentioned Hassid; everybody said Heifitz and/or Kreisler. A few brought up Milstein, Elman, Francescatti, Olivera, etc. It quickly degenerated into a battle between those who like "violinists" and those who prefer "fiddlers."

Are we really going to type the same stuff over again and revisit the acrimony? Why bother? I still maintain that the "best" violinist is as personal a preference as the "best" violin. It's all so purely subjective as to make the argument both moot and tedious.

But, what the hey. Knock yourselves out.

D

: who do you consider the best violinist of the 20-th century????

OK, everybody is talking about people like Heifetz,

Oistrakh, Kreisler etc. Those were really great, but

nowadays we have I think some one who will join

this list ! I'am talking about Shlomo Mintz. I 've

heard him play servle times and I really think he

is one of the graetest !! If you don't know him yet,

do yourself a favour, listen to his playing if you

ever have the chance. Esspecially his Beethoven

violin-concert is brillant !

If there are any people agreing with me, pleace post

a follow-up with your comment.

Bas

: : who do you consider the best violinist of the 20-th century????

: 1. Fritz Kreisler

: 2. Jasha Heifetz

: Both habe the same Birthday on 2.February.

: What was the birthday of N.Paganini?

I heard a violinist called Vasa Prihoda on an old recording who was very impressive. England produced Albert Sammons ("our Albert") whose Elgar is I maintain better than any other. There are so many wonderful violinists.

: Absolutely Gian Carlo Guicciardi. He worked in Spilambero (Modena, Italy) and now he is working in San Damaso (modena, Italy). He is very famous in Europe and all the great concertists know him. If you can try his instrument you stop all findings. Only a problem: the price !

Powell is a violinist of the 19th century who happened to live for two decades of the 20th. All her foundations were solidly 19th C. Schradieck, Dancla and Joachim were her last teachers. Her style on records supports this assessment. She was most certainly the greatest US musician since L.M. Gottschalk (but she did not compose).

Unfortunately the idiot question only asks for one.

On the basis of overall actual results without might have beens, Heifetz seems the only possible quasi-objective choice. Particularly since most of the other living candidates if asked would agree. And most of the dead ones are on record with similar sentiments (e.g. Szeryng refers to Heifetz as "the emperor")

Hassid would appear to be the top choice including might have been's since Kreisler referred to Heifetz as one per century phenomenon but Hassid as once in two centuries.

Should always be mentioned however.