Sign in to follow this  
DigiMark

Naming Your Instrument

Is there anyone who has named there instrument??

I don't just mean the maker, type, whatever, but an actual human name for it.

I've named almost every important object of my young life:

When I played baseball: Bat-Blue Bird Glove-Troy

My pillows and stuffed animals (yes, I am a teenage boy and am not afraid to admit I still love my stuffed animals)

School supplies that would stay with me for a few years. (In retrospect, this one seems a bit odd even to me)

Etc, etc, etc.

I feel that a name for certain things brings an intimacy with the owner that cannot be acheived when it is merely percieved as a piece of property or an inanimate object.

Anyway, just the other day I talked my parents into getting me a new bow. (Some may remember it from a recent post "Convincing Higher Powers") Wonderful bow!! Balanced wonderfully, grip is great, tone is a dream, my teacher approves, only $400. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Enough praising my bow, back to the thread. I had to have a name for it. I was going to start a thread where you guys suggest names, but one came to me. "Drizzt" . It fits it perfectly for a variety of reasons that would take too long to explain now.

Have any of you done the same thing?? I'd be interested to hear.

Digi

Digi, I have names for my instrument, but it really depends on how well I'm playing at any given time, If i'm playing good, My fiddle's name is Sally Good-un. but If I am playing badly.... Well, Now this is a family

oriented BB lets just say that any four letter word will suffice!! smile.gif

Pole

I usually don't name my violin, but I have called it ga-ah adonai. (sp?) That is Hebrew for "gloriously celestial." I just love my fiddle and I thought the name appropriate. smile.gif Journey

I STILL can't figure it out. I thought Oliver would work, no, he's not an Oliver. Nice name, doesn't work.

Marcello? (love the oboe concerto)

(can't use Sergei, that is for my future computer that isn't available for years to come)

Boris, Vladimir, Igor - are all taken by computer components with whom I argue on a regular basis.

Romeo?

Marcello?

the Count?

Mr. Beasley? nooooooooooo

Edgar?

Orion?

Paulo? Pablo?

Adagio? (no, too obvious)

Aristotle?

~~~~yoda~~~~~~

Giovanni????

ohhhhhhhhh - it's still going to take some time. I haven't had the fortune of having a TRUE argument with the violin as of yet.

hmmmm...

*but yes, there WILL be a name!* it's a must!!

I think there was an earlier thread like this -- you might be amused to see if you can find it -- as I recall, a number of people contributed to it.

Hmmm. Never named my fiddle. Don't know why though. My car's name is Steve. A very ordinary name (no offense, Steves) for a very ordinary car. My fiddle has a lot of character though - great ole 100 yr. old American fiddle with wonderful maple and enough cracks for for a whole orchestra. Hmmmm. I know! How about Lawrence? There's this great old guy that lives across the street (a 80ish newlywed) named Lawrence that used to play in a hillbilly band until he went to fight in WWII. He likes my playing and I see him listening through his screen door whenever I fiddle on the porch. His wife is named Arvilla - that'll be my next fiddle. Thanks for the naming exercise! I'm gonna go play Lawrence!

yes! my 17" viola is "El Gordo-" incorrect spanish for "the big one." at least i think it's incorrect. i know you can say, "el gordito," i dunno about "el gordo." Anyway, still trying to think of a name for my new viola...it'll take some time.

Andy989,

I'm not sure about Pennsylvania, but down here by the border, "Gordo" isn't as kind as "big one". It means "Fatso". "Gordito" means "Little Fatso".

Is yours one of those "swallowed a brick" high-arched fiddles?

Rat

The violin--Lady, or the The Lady Elinor

The Fiddle--Maggie O'Mallie,aka Maggie niMhaille

The car--John Lee--Hooker because the car is blue

The Sump Pump--Richard, after an old boyfriend who did not pump well either........

oh well.........at least I don't think the bloody censor will censor it. I like my other BB better. It doesn't have any censor at all and we do behave, mostly. Not like NewsGroups.

I knew a girl in school who named her violin, but then she had given names to various parts of her anatony as well... laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by DR. S (edited 07-28-2000).]

There's nothing wrong with naming your instrument. B.B. King has always referred to his guitar as Lucille. When I was in college, I had a friend who named her violin Klaus... her violin case was the Klaus-House. I also had a Phyche Professor who said that personifying a musical instrument might encourage the musician to practice more so that the instrument (in the musician's eyes) doesn't get "lonely." I call that the Tamagatchi Theory [don't worry, that was my attempt at humor, but it was all true up to the word "lonely."]

i name everything, so it was simply natural that i name my violin. i chose to name it crow, after a character on one of my favorite tv shows.

anyways, i think that everyone should name their instrument. it almost transforms a few pieces of wood, metal, and some glue into a "being."

okay, that was my take on the whole thing laugh.gif

-Ana

[This message has been edited by Ana (edited 07-28-2000).]

My violin is named Jack for Jack Benny. I have fond childhood memories of watching Benny play his violin. No matter how bad he sounded, he had the heart of a virtuoso. And since humor rules my world, the name Jack reminds me not to take myself too seriously. Of course, I want to be a good violinist, but if it's not fun, then there's really no point in playing. I also like that Jack Benny was perpetually 39-years old. That's not a bad way to go through life!

[This message has been edited by bowfinger (edited 07-28-2000).]

I bought a very fine Thomas Kennedy cello about ten years ago that belonged to an elderly lady who cared for it for over sixty years. It was called "Marmaduke". When we sold it, the purchaser insisted on having the bow that had accompanied this instrument over the past decades and subsequently acquired the Hill bow in question. A lovely match!

P.

My new violin (made in '81, but ist sold to me) was named by the maker. He knew it was special so he named it after his wife (no it's not red!), out of respect of this recently departed friend and maker it shall always be named Anne.

My viola, the poor beast, has no name, but we have a great relationship. I guess a good name would have to be powerful and masculine as that describes the sound of my instrument.

I used called it Daniel because I thought my violin is a part of me, so I should call it by my name. But it is a bit boring, so I changed that to 'Pieta.' You might remember a sculpture by Michaelangelo. I think my violin is being tortured ( laugh.gif) by me on daily basis.

Hmmm. I seem to myself like the kind of person who WOULD name everything - yet, I don't. Not anything, really, except my dogs... and that was quite a task. So, my cello, who shall remain nameless, just sits (lonely, I suppose) in the corner when I'm not playing it. On the other hand, that seems fitting, too. We miss each other when we're apart, you know. smile.gif

OpiumDoll... what about Giacomo? (seems like you tried just about everything else) or, Nicola? (or even Niccolo)

Allessandro?

Allessio?

Leonardo?

Pierluigi?

Homer?

Plato?

Heathcliffe?

Nathaniel?

Frankenstein?

Hodge?

Well... good luck, all of you who are happily naming your instruments. We, over here, will just remain comfortably anonymous. smile.gif

I just want to thank bowfinger for mentioning Jack Benny!

I adore Jack Benny, and -- with regards to the violin -- I consider him one of my very early mentors.

I even bought the sheet music to Love in Bloom when I first started my lessons.

And I think it's a great idea to name your violin.

Not names, but nicknames; but nicknames that are pretty much functioning as names:

my flute: tootie

double bass: teddie bear (or Teddie for short)

my violin: anonymous as yet, but I will come up with a name sometime . . .

my piano: anonymous, and will remain that way.

oh and I also have a friend who gives interesting nicknames to her instruments:

trombone: stretchy (although I prefer "paperclip"

oboe: Mr.duck

clarinet: licorice

baritone: berri

Mr. Duck smile.gif

Firewood-LOL

etc, etc.

Great names all.

When I upgrade to a better instrument I'm planning on naming it Gregory, after the patron saint of music. That is, unless I find a better name.

My current violin doean't have a name. Just my bow for right now. I think we'll give him a temporary name. "Sir Falls-Apart-A-Lot"

Perfect!!! It fits it like a glove. wink.gif

DM

i named my violin "nightingale"..

cos the violin sings as i play it...

i used to have a cheap violin without a sound post..and i named it "the Horse".. cos it is very coarse and YIKES.....

i bought this new violin from a friend..

and i liked it when i played the first note...

alvin