• Announcements

• ghunt

Whole Site SSL   03/08/17

Whole site SSL is now turned on and forced for all pages on Maestronet. If you have any problems, please contact the admin team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egad

Joseph Bohmann Violin

3 posts in this topic

I recently aquired a voilin with the inside label reading: "Joseph Bohmann, Quality of Tone, Chicago, ILL." It dates from sometime before the 1940's. Any information regarding this instrument, or when I can get some info, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

: I recently aquired a voilin with the inside label reading: "Joseph Bohmann, Quality of Tone, Chicago, ILL." It dates from sometime before the 1940's. Any information regarding this instrument, or when I can get some info, would be greatly appreciated.

: Thank you!

Roy Ehrhardt in volume 2 of his Violin Identification and Price Guide lists 12 grades of Joseph Bohmann violins selling in 1900 from $33 to $400 - rather high prices for those days. He estimates their value in 1979 to be from $400 to $2,000. Bohmann claimed that he made true copies of all the old masters using very old, thoroughly seasoned wood with a special amber varnish similar to that used by the old masters. He also required that orders be placed at least six months before delivery - indicating that his violins were hand made.

JohnT

John T.

I greatly appreciate the information. Thanks so much for the time and effort.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0