• Announcements

• ghunt

Whole Site SSL   03/08/17

Whole site SSL is now turned on and forced for all pages on Maestronet. If you have any problems, please contact the admin team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandra D. King

Ukelin (stringed instrument)

72 posts in this topic

My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument

called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches

long and appears to be played either with a pick or a

bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be

interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such

an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

: My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument

: called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches

: long and appears to be played either with a pick or a

: bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be

: interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such

: an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

My mother-in-law has a unelin also. She graciously lets me use it in a program I do intitled, "Music of the Kansas Prarie." I am a singer/song writer who performs in schools across the country. I am not an accomplished ukilin player, but do demonstrate it to the kids. In my mother-in-laws things I have found a 1925 manual on how to play the instrument. It was published by International Musical Corporation and is arranged by Paul Richter. I don't have any idea how valueable it is. It's educational value is very high i my book. Hope this helps.

Aaron Fowler

Hope Street Productions

1120 N. Hydraulic #201

Wichita, KS 67214-3168

voice/fax (316) 263-7325

My husband has a uekelin like the one in which you described.

We are also trying to find the value and age of this instrument.

If you have anymore info or have heard from anyone else who might know about the uekelin

please e-mail me a message. Thank you very much.

: : My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument

: : called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches

: : long and appears to be played either with a pick or a

: : bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be

: : interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such

: : an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

: My mother-in-law has a unelin also. She graciously lets me use it in a program I do intitled, "Music of the Kansas Prarie." I am a singer/song writer who performs in schools across the country. I am not an accomplished ukilin player, but do demonstrate it to the kids. In my mother-in-laws things I have found a 1925 manual on how to play the instrument. It was published by International Musical Corporation and is arranged by Paul Richter. I don't have any idea how valueable it is. It's educational value is very high i my book. Hope this helps.

: Aaron Fowler

:

: Hope Street Productions

: 1120 N. Hydraulic #201

: Wichita, KS 67214-3168

: voice/fax (316) 263-7325

: My mother-in-law has a unelin also. She graciously lets me use it in a program I do intitled, "Music of the Kansas Prarie." I am a singer/song writer who performs in schools across the country. I am not an accomplished ukilin player, but do demonstrate it to the kids. In my mother-in-laws things I have found a 1925 manual on how to play the instrument. It was published by International Musical Corporation and is arranged by Paul Richter. I don't have any idea how valueable it is. It's educational value is very high i my book. Hope this helps.

:

My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument

I also have a ukelin that was left to me by my father. I am also trying to research the instument.

The one I have was sold by Manufactures Advertising Co. out of New Jersey. It has all of the stings and the bow. I would be very interested to find out what it is worth and the history of the intrument.

: I also have a ukelin that was left to me by my father. I am also trying to research the instument.

: The one I have was sold by Manufactures Advertising Co. out of New Jersey. It has all of the stings and the bow. I would be very interested to find out what it is worth and the history of the intrument.

my e-mail is as follows dcleary@aol.com

:

After my father died this summer my sisters and I found a ukelin in my father's attic. I, too, was curious about it. So I took it to a specialty store for folk and antique instruments in Cleveland OH. The dealer was not fond of the instrument because of the difficulty in playing it. The player must both bow the instrument with one hand and pluck it with the other. He said it is not difficult to find examples and so it is of little monetary value: $70-100. Because people find it hard to play he had sold only one in the twenty years he'd been in business. He said that the instrument of an example of a number of "odd" instruments developed from the 1880's until radio killed all but the autoharp off in the '20s. I borrowed a microfilm from the Library of Congress which had a booklet that sounds like the one mentioned in one of the previous messages. It showed a method of transcibinng a piano score to a notation showing when to bow and when to pluck. It also had a number of songs so transribed. I hope this info is of interest to others. 1816 Jefferson St. S.W., Warren OH 44485-3562 330-393-7336 Gerald Aurand

: : : called a UKELIN. This instrument is about 24 inches

: : : long and appears to be played either with a pick or a

: : : bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I would be

: : : interested in knowing if anyone has ever heard of such

: : : an instrument, and if so the approximate value.

: : I also have a ukelin that was left to me by my father. I am also trying to research the instument.

: : The one I have was sold by Manufactures Advertising Co. out of New Jersey. It has all of the stings and the bow. I would be very interested to find out what it is worth and the history of the intrument.

: my e-mail is as follows dcleary@aol.com

:my grandfather had a Ukelin in his attic and just only recently gave it to me, his 17-year-old grandson.

I don't have too much info on it but I would be interested in finding out anything about it whether it is on how to play it, how long the company held out, how replacement strings and keys can be purchased(or at least where I could find them), etc. Since I have no E-mail address, I guess I will just have to keep posted to this page.

I just found a Ukelin at a second hand store for $65. Is that a good deal? It came with instructions on how to play and also had some sheet music included. I have not purchased it yet. Have you ever heard one played properly? Did it sound nice?

Thank you, Ron

We also have a ukelin. It came into our possession around 1960. It originally had a case and bow which we no longer have. On the inside it states that it was distributed exclusively by The Manufacturers Advertising Co., 93 Ferry St., Jersey City, NJ. It states the price as $35.00. We are also interested in obtaining more information on this unusual instrument.: My deceased father had a stringed musical instrument

It seems that there are lot of people whose

grand fathers owned and played a ukelin. I

remember mine playing for me when I was little.

My mother tells a story that when in primary

school her music teacher asked who played or had

parents who played an instrument. When she

advised that her father played the ukelin, her

music teacher told her that that he had never

heard of such an instrument. My grand father

attended her class to demonstrate.

His instruments (he had two) have since

disappeared. I was lucky enough on a recent

trip through Pensylvania to purchase one for

$80 US. I do not know if this is a fair price.

The instrument is mising one string and the bow

has no string. I would like to have the ukelin

restored but would like further information

before doing so. I would also like to find out

how to play.

My mother has given me a photographic negative of

my grand father playing the ukelin.

I can be contacted by e-mail at:

bachhofr@neptune.on.ca

Aaron: My recently deceased father played the saxophone, however my husband seems to collect & play stringed instruments of all tyoes, guitar, 'oud, balalaika,mandolin, chirango... am interested in more information. I have always wante to play the uke,sinceI have an interested in Polynesian Music & dance.

Denise

: :

: : Hope Street Productions

: : 1120 N. Hydraulic #201

: : Wichita, KS 67214-3168

: : voice/fax (316) 263-7325

: After my father died this summer my sisters and I found a ukelin in my father's attic. I, too, was curious about it. So I took it to a specialty store for folk and antique instruments in Cleveland OH. The dealer was not fond of the instrument because of the difficulty in playing it. The player must both bow the instrument with one hand and pluck it with the other. He said it is not difficult to find examples and so it is of little monetary value: $70-100. Because people find it hard to play he had sold only one in the twenty years he'd been in business. He said that the instrument of an example of a number of "odd" instruments developed from the 1880's until radio killed all but the autoharp off in the '20s. I borrowed a microfilm from the Library of Congress which had a booklet that sounds like the one mentioned in one of the previous messages. It showed a method of transcibinng a piano score to a notation showing when to bow and when to pluck. It also had a number of songs so transribed. I hope this info is of interest to others. 1816 Jefferson St. S.W., Warren OH 44485-3562 330-393-7336 Gerald Aurand

:

: : : My deceased father had a stringed musical

instrument

: : : called a UKELIN. This instrument is about

24 inches

: : : long and appears to be played either with a

pick or a

: : : bow, thus the name (ukele/violin=Ukelin). I

would be

: : : interested in knowing if anyone has ever

heard of such

: : : an instrument, and if so the approximate

value.

: : My mother-in-law has a unelin also. She

graciously lets me use it in a program I do

intitled, "Music of the Kansas Prarie." I am a

singer/song writer who performs in schools across

the country. I am not an accomplished ukilin

player, but do demonstrate it to the kids. In my

mother-in-laws things I have found a 1925 manual

on how to play the instrument. It was published by

International Musical Corporation and is arranged

by Paul Richter. I don't have any idea how

valueable it is. It's educational value is very

high i my book. Hope this helps.

: : Aaron Fowler

: :

: : Hope Street Productions

: : 1120 N. Hydraulic #201

: : Wichita, KS 67214-3168

: : voice/fax (316) 263-7325

i have gotten a ukelin and was wondering how to

tune it. if anyone knows please let me know.

sam

My parents gave me a ukelin when I was about 10 yrs.old and it hung on my walls for 20 years. It was bought at an antique shop in Nyack, New York for $35, the same price it was sold for originally. I refered to it as my ³egg slicer².

I would take it down now and then and pluck at the strings by putting a finger through the hoops and strumming at the chords. The sound was enchanting, sounding much like a medieval instrument. The long delay that was possible and the richness of tone reminded me of a cathedral.

Years later I began recording with a friend and I brought it by to see what we could make of it. He brought it to a music specialty shop and found out what I should have realized years earlied: that it was bowed! The feeling I had of actually knowing how to play the thing was like suddenly knowing the true intent of stonehenge! I was exhilerated. We set to work exploring.

The man in the shop said the chords were sympathetic strings, resonating when the strings above were bowed. If this is their original intent or not, I don¹t know. But I do know is that I found the overall effect like no other instrument. The sound (when tuned properly, and that¹s quite a trick. Use an electronic tuner if you can get your hands on it.) is intoxicating; sounding between primitive and electric and vast.

I feel this is an instrument that has ³slipped between the cracks² of twentieth century music. The world could use some good ukelin players. I¹d encourage any and all ukelin owners reading to explore and enjoy this remarkable ghost of an instrument.

Please write if you have any more ukelin info.

:I have rercently purchased a ukelin and was

wondering if anyone has any info on on how to play

it. I did a little research and found there is

a book in the library of congress, but as of yet

have not found out how to get a copy of it.

At present I have my local library doing a nation

search of this manuscript, if I get a copy I will

post it in this bulletin board.

: I just found a Ukelin at a second hand store for $65. Is that a good deal? It came with instructions on how to play and also had some sheet music included. I have not purchased it yet. Have you ever heard one played properly? Did it sound nice?

: Thank you, Ron

I also own and play the ukelin. $65.00 is a super deal for this instrument. Th ukelin has a lot of resonance when you play it and sounds quite eerie. It is unusual to play as your left hand plays the rythym while bowing with the right. I like the challenge.

sorry to hear about your dad but ive never herd

of that kind of insturment

and can you play it.my names matt

: My parents gave me a ukelin when I was about 10 yrs.old and it hung on my walls for 20 years. It was bought at an antique shop in Nyack, New York for $35, the same price it was sold for originally. I refered to it as my ³egg slicer².

: I would take it down now and then and pluck at the strings by putting a finger through the hoops and strumming at the chords. The sound was enchanting, sounding much like a medieval instrument. The long delay that was possible and the richness of tone reminded me of a cathedral.

: Years later I began recording with a friend and I brought it by to see what we could make of it. He brought it to a music specialty shop and found out what I should have realized years earlied: that it was bowed! The feeling I had of actually knowing how to play the thing was like suddenly knowing the true intent of stonehenge! I was exhilerated. We set to work exploring.

: The man in the shop said the chords were sympathetic strings, resonating when the strings above were bowed. If this is their original intent or not, I don¹t know. But I do know is that I found the overall effect like no other instrument. The sound (when tuned properly, and that¹s quite a trick. Use an electronic tuner if you can get your hands on it.) is intoxicating; sounding between primitive and electric and vast.

: I feel this is an instrument that has ³slipped between the cracks² of twentieth century music. The world could use some good ukelin players. I¹d encourage any and all ukelin owners reading to explore and enjoy this remarkable ghost of an instrument.

My parents gave my a Ukelin that they picked up at a yard sale for $5! I was amazed to hear its played with a bow. Do you need a certain kind of bow? Where should I look for one? Any info would be great!

: I just bought a ukelin for 40.00. It was made by the same company! Yet, i still am not sure exactly how to tune it or play it.??

: I just found a Ukelin at a second hand store for $65. Is that a good deal? It came with instructions on how to play and also had some sheet music included. I have not purchased it yet. Have you ever heard one played properly? Did it sound nice?

: Thank you, Ron

Hi,

I picked one up this weekend for $10.00.

It's pretty beat, but it does have a nice ring

to it. If your find is in good shape and has

the instructions buy it! That is if your

interested in offbeat instruments. Also,

try offering $45.00, all they can say is no.

If you do decide to buy it I may be willing

to help defray the cost if you sent me a

xerox of the instructions. Good luck!

Matt clampitt@artnet.net

I recieved a "Ukelin" as a wedding present

from my mother's best friend. It appears to be

very old (antique) and it has perplexed and

intrigued me for 3 years now! Gruhn's music store

in Nashville said the Ukelin was a novelty

instrument and was not worth much money. I am

interested in knowing more about this thing! I am

an avid musician and am dying to learn how to play

this curious curio! I play guitar and sing in a

rock band called "BILLY GOAT GRUFF" from Fort

Wayne, Indiana. Our other guitar player also plays

a hand-made(himself) 32-string celtic harp, and a

traditional violin at our shows. I am working on

a Russian Mandolin that my mother gave me, and I

would also love to play my Ukelin at our gigs. So,

I would really like to hear from anyone who knows

how to play the Ukelin, or even just get more

information on them. Thanks a whole bunch!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0