Maestronet Forums

Composition programs for the computer

Sara G.

I use "Finale" on my newer MAC. I find it very useful. There is also an inexpensive program that only runs on older MACs called "Delux music construction set." It is a very quick and easy way to write out a score and then listen back to what it sounds like, and then print it out. With Macs, you don't need sound cards, or add on boards, synthesizers, or anything else to play back music. I keep an old MAC around just to run this music program.

: Anybody know of any? Cost? Etc...I'm a music student and the computer lab is not open enough for me--help! :)

To Sara G.

Sara, there are many programs out there now. Some are entry level, while others are for the professional musician. A suggestion would be to start at the library and look through back issues of the magazine entitled "Music and Computers". They deal primarily with making music on the computer but the magazine is full of advertisments describing the various sequencing and notation programs that you are interested in. They also list many websites where free demos can be downloaded in order to try out the program before purchase. Be careful though, as these demos do not allow you to save or print. The magazine can be e-mailed at; m&c@mficom if you wish to contact them with any questions. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Sara,.. I use a program called "Music Time Deluxe". I bought it at Egghead Software for about $60 on CD ROM and It is great! Simple to use and understand, you can play back your compositions and even assign different MIDI sounds for each insrtument. It's great for charting music, however if you need to record directly into your computer, I suggest Finale, or Cake Walk. BYE!