Maestronet Forums

I need advise on double stop for violin

Samantha

I have started violin one and a half years ago. I started playing double stop with Sevcik's preparatory studies in double stoppinf, op.9.

I am having trouble playing Third at high position. At certain position, I have to play on the the very tip of my finger, very close to finger nail. And I have hard time stretching my fourth finger at some places. Besides, I can't

shift with ease. I feel tired after playing double stop for 20 minutes. I don't know how to solve the problem. How long is it going to take me before I can play double stops well?

I really need advice on this!!!!!

Samantha

: I have started violin one and a half years ago. I started playing double stop with Sevcik's preparatory studies in double stoppinf, op.9.

: I am having trouble playing Third at high position. At certain position, I have to play on the the very tip of my finger, very close to finger nail. And I have hard time stretching my fourth finger at some places. Besides, I can't

: shift with ease. I feel tired after playing double stop for 20 minutes. I don't know how to solve the problem. How long is it going to take me before I can play double stops well?

: I really need advice on this!!!!!

: Samantha

Dear Samantha,

you must realize that any advice given on this board for such an expansive topic, if taken literally is subject to being destructive. How old you are, how serious you are, and how far along you are as a violinist must all be taken into account. If you are trying this on your own, you are probably looking for trouble. Most people aren't nearly ready to be worring about double stops after a year and a half of study. If you are exceptional, you should be with an exceptional teacher that will guide you well on this regard. If you wish to privately e-mail me and explain yourself in detail I might talk to you, but I will probably just tell you to find a good teacher. If you live in the DC area or Maryland, I have openings in my studio. I would be glad to interview you in person to see if I can help you professionally. If you are an adult doing this for a hobby, your result without professional guidance will almost assurably end in total frustration and quite possibly cause you neurological or muscle problems that can haunt you long after you stop playing and frankly, just aren't worth it. That, of course, depends on how much and what type of practicing you do. In any event, good luck.