under $2000. Can someone tell me if it is possible to

find a good tonal quality violin under $2000? The bottom

line is I want a violin that has a clear, rich, even and

full tone. Any suggestions as to where or how to find

such a violin within my price range? I live in the

San Francisco/Bay area. Can anyone suggest an honest

violin dealer in my area?

Thanks.

If you haven't tried already, you may want to contact some of the shops that offer approvals by mail. The larger shops offering these services often import new or recondition old instruments and since they purchase in quantity, can offer instruments at relatively good prices. Although good sounding, even with your qualifications, is subjective.

: I have visited four violin stores and tried out thirty

: used violins but I still haven't found a decent violin

: under $2000. Can someone tell me if it is possible to

: find a good tonal quality violin under $2000? The bottom

: line is I want a violin that has a clear, rich, even and

: full tone. Any suggestions as to where or how to find

: such a violin within my price range? I live in the

: San Francisco/Bay area. Can anyone suggest an honest

: violin dealer in my area?

: Thanks.

Sometimes you can find an outstanding violin by an "amateur" maker. It may not gain in value during your lifetime, but if it satisfies you, that is what really counts. One of my violins was made by such a person, Charles Woods of Ridgecrest, California (619-375-7243) in 1990. May of his instruments would meet any of your tonal needs. I have used my "Woods # 11" in solo, chamber, and orchestra performances. I also gave a "Woods" viola. You can try my instrument (I live in San Rafael) you can e-mail to me at victec@aol.com or call at 415-458-1735. I have other instruments for comparison. I do not sell instruments, however. By now Woods must be up to about violin # 40, viola #8, and if he makes another cello it will be #4. There are bound to be other fine makers out there too, the Violin Makers Society could probably put you in touch, and Charles Woods could put you in touch with them.

Good Luck

Andy Victor

: : I have visited four violin stores and tried out thirty

: : used violins but I still haven't found a decent violin

: : under $2000. Can someone tell me if it is possible to

: : find a good tonal quality violin under $2000? The bottom

: : line is I want a violin that has a clear, rich, even and

: : full tone. Any suggestions as to where or how to find

: : such a violin within my price range? I live in the

: : San Francisco/Bay area. Can anyone suggest an honest

: : violin dealer in my area?

: : Thanks.

: Sometimes you can find an outstanding violin by an "amateur" maker. It may not gain in value during your lifetime, but if it satisfies you, that is what really counts. One of my violins was made by such a person, Charles Woods of Ridgecrest, California (619-375-7243) in 1990. Many of his instruments would meet any of your tonal needs. I have used my "Woods # 11" in solo, chamber, and orchestra performances. I also have a "Woods" viola. You can try my instrument (I live in San Rafael) you can e-mail to me at victec@aol.com or call at 415-458-1735. I have other instruments for comparison. I do not sell instruments, however. By now Woods must be up to about violin # 40, viola #8, and if he makes another cello it will be #4. There are bound to be other fine makers out there too, the Violin Makers Society could probably put you in touch, and Charles Woods could put you in touch with them.

: Good Luck

: Andy Victor

P.S. Charles Woods is now "on line" at Woods@ridgecrest.ca.us

: : : I have visited four violin stores and tried out thirty

: : : used violins but I still haven't found a decent violin

: : : under $2000. Can someone tell me if it is possible to

: : : find a good tonal quality violin under $2000? The bottom

: : : line is I want a violin that has a clear, rich, even and

: : : full tone. Any suggestions as to where or how to find

: : : such a violin within my price range? I live in the

: : : San Francisco/Bay area. Can anyone suggest an honest

: : : violin dealer in my area?

: : : Thanks.

: : Sometimes you can find an outstanding violin by an "amateur" maker. It may not gain in value during your lifetime, but if it satisfies you, that is what really counts. One of my violins was made by such a person, Charles Woods of Ridgecrest, California (619-375-7243) in 1990. Many of his instruments would meet any of your tonal needs. I have used my "Woods # 11" in solo, chamber, and orchestra performances. I also have a "Woods" viola. You can try my instrument (I live in San Rafael) you can e-mail to me at victec@aol.com or call at 415-458-1735. I have other instruments for comparison. I do not sell instruments, however. By now Woods must be up to about violin # 40, viola #8, and if he makes another cello it will be #4. There are bound to be other fine makers out there too, the Violin Makers Society could probably put you in touch, and Charles Woods could put you in touch with them.

: : Good Luck

: : Andy Victor

: P.S. Charles Woods is now "on line" at Woods@ridgecrest.ca.us

Chinese instruments are a good bet. Although some are the equivalent of Fisher Price, if you pay over $1000, they have a pretty sound and look GREAT. Even my teacher, who USED to be prejudiced toward Chinese violins, liked one Chinese I was considering. Read the post about the "Sophia" (Sofia) violins and the Scott Cao violins. Scott Cao has a great reputation and works in California, but has workshops in the People's Replubic. I hope that I could be of some help.-Geoff

P.S. After hard thinking, I bought an 1899 Frederick James Buckley violin. It was almost a tie, (between the 1899 and the Chinese)though.

I suggest calling Robertson's Violin Shop in Albuquerque. Tell them you are interested in trying a "Gunter Van Aue", they will send one to you for a trial period of one week. These violins are $1500, hand made look great and the tone is very powerful and rich. Robertson's has a toll free # (1-800-284-6546). Call them, I know you'll like these violins. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

:just interested in the frequency range of a violin and a viola. please e-mail me at hynek@thesurf.com..thank you

: I suggest calling Robertson's Violin Shop in Albuquerque. Tell them you are interested in trying a "Gunter Van Aue", they will send one to you for a trial period of one week. These violins are $1500, hand made look great and the tone is very powerful and rich. Robertson's has a toll free # (1-800-284-6546). Call them, I know you'll like these violins. Good luck!