Maestronet Forums

H. Siegler Violin

Donna

: I received a violin as a gift. It has the name "H. Siegler" inside and it is made in China

: I have been told by several people, my instructor included,

: that Chinese violins are bad. Does anyone know anything

: about this violin?

Chinese violins come in good and poor, all the way up the scale of quality. I had occasion to meet a young Chinese/Canadian violinist from the Montreal area. At the time I was in Vancouver and in a shopping mall, when all of a sudden I heard this lovely violin and piano accompaniment and followed it to where this young lady was playing a disc with her music on it. She was selling her cassettes and discs. I asked her what make of violin she played on and she told me both her violin and bow were made in China. Well the violin tone was superb. Her name is "Zhen Giocoso", and her e-mail address is <102547.1410@CompuServe.Com>. Perhaps she could help you out.

Charles Molnar

I have seen some products with the Siegler label and the ones I have seen have been of the poorest quality, comparable to Skylark and Cremona instruments. I do not know if they have a better line or not. If your teacher actually looked at the instrument and said it was poor, I'd believe it. However, if he or she pronounced it bad just because they were told it was Chinese, they are indulging an unfair prejudice. While it is true that virtually all the instruments that came out of China until just a few years ago were absolutely terrible and frequently not even playable, in recent years there have been a number of Chinese makers and manufacturers producing very excellent instruments at great prices. Sometimes the poorer instruments can be made passable if they are gone over and adjusted, and fitted with new pegs, bridge, strings, etc., but usually the cost of such an undertaking is more than it would cost to buy or rent something better.

Jake

: : I received a violin as a gift. It has the name "H. Siegler" inside and it is made in China

: : I have been told by several people, my instructor included,

: : that Chinese violins are bad. Does anyone know anything

: : about this violin?

: Chinese violins come in good and poor, all the way up the scale of quality. I had occasion to meet a young Chinese/Canadian violinist from the Montreal area. At the time I was in Vancouver and in a shopping mall, when all of a sudden I heard this lovely violin and piano accompaniment and followed it to where this young lady was playing a disc with her music on it. She was selling her cassettes and discs. I asked her what make of violin she played on and she told me both her violin and bow were made in China. Well the violin tone was superb. Her name is "Zhen Giocoso", and her e-mail address is <102547.1410@CompuServe.Com>. Perhaps she could help you out.

: Charles Molnar

:

: I have seen some products with the Siegler label and the ones I have seen have been of the poorest quality, comparable to Skylark and Cremona instruments. I do not know if they have a better line or not. If your teacher actually looked at the instrument and said it was poor, I'd believe it. However, if he or she pronounced it bad just because they were told it was Chinese, they are indulging an unfair prejudice. While it is true that virtually all the instruments that came out of China until just a few years ago were absolutely terrible and frequently not even playable, in recent years there have been a number of Chinese makers and manufacturers producing very excellent instruments at great prices. Sometimes the poorer instruments can be made passable if they are gone over and adjusted, and fitted with new pegs, bridge, strings, etc., but usually the cost of such an undertaking is more than it would cost to buy or rent something better.

: Jake

: : : I received a violin as a gift. It has the name "H. Siegler" inside and it is made in China

: : : I have been told by several people, my instructor included,

: : : that Chinese violins are bad. Does anyone know anything

: : : about this violin?

: : Chinese violins come in good and poor, all the way up the scale of quality. I had occasion to meet a young Chinese/Canadian violinist from the Montreal area. At the time I was in Vancouver and in a shopping mall, when all of a sudden I heard this lovely violin and piano accompaniment and followed it to where this young lady was playing a disc with her music on it. She was selling her cassettes and discs. I asked her what make of violin she played on and she told me both her violin and bow were made in China. Well the violin tone was superb. Her name is "Zhen Giocoso", and her e-mail address is <102547.1410@CompuServe.Com>. Perhaps she could help you out.

: : Charles Molnar

: :

H Siegler violins have a couple of different models. The HS-20 is junk. The HS-40 is actually better than most Chinese fiddles in my opinion.

: I received a violin as a gift. It has the name "H. Siegler" inside and it is made in China

Hello: Chinese violins are not all bad. Some are

very good. Unfortunately, the H. Seigler one is

very poor. We do sell Chinese violins, and were

talked into trying the H. Seigler. We had to send

them all back to the supplier...necks came out,

blocks came inglued....we have had to replace the

few we did sell.

Regards,

Al

Now that I've found out how bad they really are, what,

if anything, can I do to it to make it better? Will

new strings help? I have been trying to play it but

even as a beginner, I can tell it doesn't sound right.

Please help as I am sort of stuck with it! (I got it

from my mother-in-law.)

: : Better keep on playing it. At least in front of "Mom". Start saving to buy a better instrument, or rent a better instrument and keep it out of her sight. Her heart was in the right place, after all. Hopefully, in about a year or so, she will be delighted that you have outgrown your first violin.