Maestronet Forums

Joseph Klotz copy

: I have a Joseph Klotz copy dated 1790. Its in beautiful

: condition, I am playing now. Do you have any idea what a

: retail value for this type of violin may be.

: Thanks

: Kristine Murray

:

kristine,

if you could give us a detailed description, we could probably give you a vague idea of the range it falls in. without actually seeing it though, it would be hard to tell. klotz copies were made for many years, and they came in all price ranges. most that i have seen however have been copies of mathias or sebatian klotz. were you told that it is a copy by a dealer? did they have any idea about its' worth? some of these copies sold for as little as $3 or$4, others were close to proffesional quality. a cheap one in good shape could be worth $300 in a store ($10-50 flea market), and possibly up to $2,000. another thing to keep in mind is that many labels were placed in the instrument long after it was made-who is to say (without seeing it) that you don't have something really nice? all the more reason to take it to a dealer for their expert opinion.

sincerely,

mike

• 6 months later...

: : I have a Joseph Klotz copy dated 1790. Its in beautiful

: : condition, I am playing now. Do you have any idea what a

: : retail value for this type of violin may be.

: : Thanks

: : Kristine Murray

: :

: kristine,

: if you could give us a detailed description, we could probably give you a vague idea of the range it falls in. without actually seeing it though, it would be hard to tell. klotz copies were made for many years, and they came in all price ranges. most that i have seen however have been copies of mathias or sebatian klotz. were you told that it is a copy by a dealer? did they have any idea about its' worth? some of these copies sold for as little as $3 or$4, others were close to proffesional quality. a cheap one in good shape could be worth $300 in a store ($10-50 flea market), and possibly up to $2,000. another thing to keep in mind is that many labels were placed in the instrument long after it was made-who is to say (without seeing it) that you don't have something really nice? all the more reason to take it to a dealer for their expert opinion.

: sincerely,

: mike

I have what is believed to be a genuine Klotz violin. It was acquired in 1943 from a violin house in New York city.It has been in my family ever since it was acquired in 1943.

When I first got it the label said Joseph Klotz

Senior 1829.During the repair of it several years

ago the section of the label with 1829 on it disappeared.It looks as if someone deliberately cut it off.

It was recently appraised by a violin repair facilit in Seattle

and another one in Orlando of minimum 10k.

John G. Kovach

: if you could give us a detailed description, we could probably give you a vague idea of the range it falls in. without actually seeing it though, it would be hard to tell. klotz copies were made for many years, and they came in all price ranges. most that i have seen however have been copies of mathias or sebatian klotz. were you told that it is a copy by a dealer? did they have any idea about its' worth? some of these copies sold for as little as $3 or$4, others were close to proffesional quality. a cheap one in good shape could be worth $300 in a store ($10-50 flea market), and possibly up to $2,000. another thing to keep in mind is that many labels were placed in the instrument long after it was made-who is to say (without seeing it) that you don't have something really nice? all the more reason to take it to a dealer for their expert opinion.

Here's some more info on mine. The label in addition tothe

has a second line which has several unreadable

characters and then c milleneals

it's in script and almost unreadable. The neck is a 2 piece neck

with the peg part separate from fingerboard part.

Years ago a violin maker had a book with a

listing of all know violins and makers and after looking at this one said

it was listed as missing in the book. Ive never pursued the matter any further

John G. Kovach

I had someone look at the label today and it doesn't say millenium

it says Mittenwald. Well when you"re 70 and have to wear trifocals

you make little boo boos like this.

Recently, I bought a violin w/label "Josef Klotz in Mittenwalde anno 1795" The back appears to be a 2 piece construction and is stamped "Klotz". Do you know what to look for so that you may know whether or not it's a copy?

my question is what a origional 1709 georg klotz violin might be worth.. it is in good playing condition..no label inside, rather a inked (looks like type set two lines on wood of back inside stating name of builder and city and year. please direct response to me at dave care of dalemfg@juno.com I am thinking it might be wise for me to sell this one to a serious player and buy a less expensive one for my own use...thanks

dave