Another novice enquiring about rosin:-)

Hi Everyone

Can I get some opinion on Pirastro Eudoxa rosin from you kind people.

I'm suffering severe "string gum-up", a syndrome I haven't suffered

as badly as I am at the moment. Even not having rosined my bow, I get

a terrible feel after only a couple of minutes playing. I don't

consider that I over-rosin (I use a reasonably good student bow and

would only apply new rosin every week or so) but most times it feels

like I'm ice-skating over the strings. The weather here is mostly warm

and dry, but not really different from past weeks and certainly no worse

than last Summer. Being one of the more expensive of the rosins available

here I would have hoped for better. Help! Where am I going wrong?

Also, while I'm at it I'll pose a question on tone. Why is it that I get

a very good crystal clear tone on all notes except for the (first position)

D on the G string, the A on the D string etc. I can make a very passable

tone on all the other notes, but these ... Grrr! Am I pressing the string down

too hard, too light (of course I've tried all possibilities), what's the story?

I'm heading off into Third, Fourth and Beyond positions soon but how can I

confidently do this when all I can get in First is a crummy fourth finger.

I use Dominant strings and have had the same set on since I got the violin just

over a year ago. I figured at the end of last year that seeing as I'd been

doing a bare minimum hours practice for every day of the last year that I'd be

due for new strings, but when I questioned my teacher she said that they looked

fine, and why change strings if you don't have to? I'm not particularly in

changing them all holus bolus, but if there was one string which might be a guide

as to how different brands sounded, which one would it be? The answer is probably

that I can't do that, that each string has it's own character etc, but I'll be

interested to hear from anyone who can give me some ideas.

Thanks.

: Hi Everyone

: Can I get some opinion on Pirastro Eudoxa rosin from you kind people.

: I'm suffering severe "string gum-up", a syndrome I haven't suffered

: as badly as I am at the moment. Even not having rosined my bow, I get

: a terrible feel after only a couple of minutes playing. I don't

: consider that I over-rosin (I use a reasonably good student bow and

: would only apply new rosin every week or so) but most times it feels

: like I'm ice-skating over the strings. The weather here is mostly warm

: and dry, but not really different from past weeks and certainly no worse

: than last Summer. Being one of the more expensive of the rosins available

: here I would have hoped for better. Help! Where am I going wrong?

: Also, while I'm at it I'll pose a question on tone. Why is it that I get

: a very good crystal clear tone on all notes except for the (first position)

: D on the G string, the A on the D string etc. I can make a very passable

: tone on all the other notes, but these ... Grrr! Am I pressing the string down

: too hard, too light (of course I've tried all possibilities), what's the story?

: I'm heading off into Third, Fourth and Beyond positions soon but how can I

: confidently do this when all I can get in First is a crummy fourth finger.

: I use Dominant strings and have had the same set on since I got the violin just

: over a year ago. I figured at the end of last year that seeing as I'd been

: doing a bare minimum hours practice for every day of the last year that I'd be

: due for new strings, but when I questioned my teacher she said that they looked

: fine, and why change strings if you don't have to? I'm not particularly in

: changing them all holus bolus, but if there was one string which might be a guide

: as to how different brands sounded, which one would it be? The answer is probably

: that I can't do that, that each string has it's own character etc, but I'll be

: interested to hear from anyone who can give me some ideas.

: Thanks.

Wendy

First about the rosin-there is nothing wrong with the rosin you are using, but you might

try using less or switching to Bernadel or Salcow. As far as your sound goes, a year for Dominants

is pushing it and you can't tell by looking, you can only tell by listning, but a good rule of

thumb is twice a year if you play 30 min. a day. The same goes for the hair on your bow-maybe it needs

a rehair. If its been a year since you got your instrument go get it looked at by a shop-it's a good idea

anyway once or twice a year. If it 's ok then they shouldn't charge you anything just to look at it. dave

: tone on all the other notes, but these ... Grrr! Am I pressing the string down

: too hard, too light (of course I've tried all possibilities), what's the story?

: I use Dominant strings and have had the same set on since I got the violin just

: doing a bare minimum hours practice for every day of the last year that I'd be

: due for new strings, but when I questioned my teacher she said that they looked

: changing them all holus bolus, but if there was one string which might be a guide

: as to how different brands sounded, which one would it be? The answer is probably

: that I can't do that, that each string has it's own character etc, but I'll be

The "Magic Touch" string cleaner tissues that Southwest Strings sells (pg. 47 of their catalog) will take old rosin of your strings and can also clean the excess of your bow.

You did not say if you have a real horse-haired bow or if you are using synthetic hair. If it's the latter, that would be a problem.

On the 4th finger problem - what has your teacher said? Has your teacher tried your violin? Are you playing those notes in tune? WHat do they sound like if you go to the 3rd position and play them with your 2nd finger?

Andy

Gum up??? Sounds like you don't know how to clean up your strings. I don't know what goofy commercial wipe this other guy was talking about, sounds like the crap they market in those rediculous 'violin care kits' they sell unsuspecting amatures at every music store. Every violin gets gummed up with rosin if you don't clean it thoroughly after every practice session. All you need is a soft cloth, period. If the strings get difficult, try using a dimes edge to release the embedded particals of rosin. As far as how often to rosin, after every couple of hours, but all you need is a couple three or four strokes applied with even pressure. This 'idiot' practice of applying extra rosin at the tip and frog is not based in any kind of sound logic. The best rosin I know of is Milant Deroux. THAT is a matter of opinion, but everything else I have said is fact.

: : Hi Everyone

: : Can I get some opinion on Pirastro Eudoxa rosin from you kind people.

: : I'm suffering severe "string gum-up", a syndrome I haven't suffered

: : as badly as I am at the moment. Even not having rosined my bow, I get

: : a terrible feel after only a couple of minutes playing. I don't

: : consider that I over-rosin (I use a reasonably good student bow and

: : would only apply new rosin every week or so) but most times it feels

: : like I'm ice-skating over the strings. The weather here is mostly warm

: : and dry, but not really different from past weeks and certainly no worse

: : than last Summer. Being one of the more expensive of the rosins available

: : here I would have hoped for better. Help! Where am I going wrong?

: : Also, while I'm at it I'll pose a question on tone. Why is it that I get

: : a very good crystal clear tone on all notes except for the (first position)

: : D on the G string, the A on the D string etc. I can make a very passable

: : tone on all the other notes, but these ... Grrr! Am I pressing the string down

: : too hard, too light (of course I've tried all possibilities), what's the story?

: : I'm heading off into Third, Fourth and Beyond positions soon but how can I

: : confidently do this when all I can get in First is a crummy fourth finger.

: : I use Dominant strings and have had the same set on since I got the violin just

: : over a year ago. I figured at the end of last year that seeing as I'd been

: : doing a bare minimum hours practice for every day of the last year that I'd be

: : due for new strings, but when I questioned my teacher she said that they looked

: : fine, and why change strings if you don't have to? I'm not particularly in

: : changing them all holus bolus, but if there was one string which might be a guide

: : as to how different brands sounded, which one would it be? The answer is probably

: : that I can't do that, that each string has it's own character etc, but I'll be

: : interested to hear from anyone who can give me some ideas.

: : Thanks.

: Wendy

: First about the rosin-there is nothing wrong with the rosin you are using, but you might

: try using less or switching to Bernadel or Salcow. As far as your sound goes, a year for Dominants

: is pushing it and you can't tell by looking, you can only tell by listning, but a good rule of

: thumb is twice a year if you play 30 min. a day. The same goes for the hair on your bow-maybe it needs

: a rehair. If its been a year since you got your instrument go get it looked at by a shop-it's a good idea

: anyway once or twice a year. If it 's ok then they shouldn't charge you anything just to look at it. dave

: Gum up??? Sounds like you don't know how to clean up your strings. I don't know what goofy commercial wipe this other guy was talking about, sounds like the crap they market in those rediculous 'violin care kits' they sell unsuspecting amatures at every music store. Every violin gets gummed up with rosin if you don't clean it thoroughly after every practice session. All you need is a soft cloth, period. If the strings get difficult, try using a dimes edge to release the embedded particals of rosin. As far as how often to rosin, after every couple of hours, but all you need is a couple three or four strokes applied with even pressure. This 'idiot' practice of applying extra rosin at the tip and frog is not based in any kind of sound logic. The best rosin I know of is Milant Deroux. THAT is a matter of opinion, but everything else I have said is fact.

I wouldn't take this guy too seriously!.... especially about using the dimes edge!

Don

Yes, Mr/Ms. Dean could certainly stand a lesson or two in courtesy and diplomacy. One can voice their opinion without being insulting to others. Or were you aware of this point of etiquette, there, Dean?

: Gum up??? Sounds like you don't know how to clean up your strings. I don't know what goofy commercial wipe this other guy was talking about, sounds like the crap they market in those rediculous 'violin care kits' they sell unsuspecting amatures at every music store. Every violin gets gummed up with rosin if you don't clean it thoroughly after every practice session. All you need is a soft cloth, period. If the strings get difficult, try using a dimes edge to release the embedded particals of rosin. As far as how often to rosin, after every couple of hours, but all you need is a couple three or four strokes applied with even pressure. This 'idiot' practice of applying extra rosin at the tip and frog is not based in any kind of sound logic. The best rosin I know of is Milant Deroux. THAT is a matter of opinion, but everything else I have said is fact.

Pardon me for breathing, but I DO know how to clean my strings. I don't use any cleaners, just a wipe down after each session.

Thanks to most of you who proferred an opinion. I'll just have to suck it and see.

:

: : : Hi Everyone

: : : Can I get some opinion on Pirastro Eudoxa rosin from you kind people.

: : : I'm suffering severe "string gum-up", a syndrome I haven't suffered

: : : as badly as I am at the moment. Even not having rosined my bow, I get

: : : a terrible feel after only a couple of minutes playing. I don't

: : : consider that I over-rosin (I use a reasonably good student bow and

: : : would only apply new rosin every week or so) but most times it feels

: : : like I'm ice-skating over the strings. The weather here is mostly warm

: : : and dry, but not really different from past weeks and certainly no worse

: : : than last Summer. Being one of the more expensive of the rosins available

: : : here I would have hoped for better. Help! Where am I going wrong?

: : : Also, while I'm at it I'll pose a question on tone. Why is it that I get

: : : a very good crystal clear tone on all notes except for the (first position)

: : : D on the G string, the A on the D string etc. I can make a very passable

: : : tone on all the other notes, but these ... Grrr! Am I pressing the string down

: : : too hard, too light (of course I've tried all possibilities), what's the story?

: : : I'm heading off into Third, Fourth and Beyond positions soon but how can I

: : : confidently do this when all I can get in First is a crummy fourth finger.

: : : I use Dominant strings and have had the same set on since I got the violin just

: : : over a year ago. I figured at the end of last year that seeing as I'd been

: : : doing a bare minimum hours practice for every day of the last year that I'd be

: : : due for new strings, but when I questioned my teacher she said that they looked

: : : fine, and why change strings if you don't have to? I'm not particularly in

: : : changing them all holus bolus, but if there was one string which might be a guide

: : : as to how different brands sounded, which one would it be? The answer is probably

: : : that I can't do that, that each string has it's own character etc, but I'll be

: : : interested to hear from anyone who can give me some ideas.

: : : Thanks.

: : Wendy

: : First about the rosin-there is nothing wrong with the rosin you are using, but you might

: : try using less or switching to Bernadel or Salcow. As far as your sound goes, a year for Dominants

: : is pushing it and you can't tell by looking, you can only tell by listning, but a good rule of

: : thumb is twice a year if you play 30 min. a day. The same goes for the hair on your bow-maybe it needs

: : a rehair. If its been a year since you got your instrument go get it looked at by a shop-it's a good idea

: : anyway once or twice a year. If it 's ok then they shouldn't charge you anything just to look at it. dave

Ok..

To start with you have an excellent brand of

strings. I think the problem is that you are

putting your fingers on the string incorrectly.

The weak sound that you are describing would

probably because you are playing with your fingernails

and not the skin of your finger. (If you get what

I mean...) Another reason could be you have a

bulid-up of rosin on your strings. To fix this

you have to wipe of the rosin with perfume on a cloth,

taking care that you don't get any on the wood.

Or you could get a new set of strings. I would

reccommend this as you have had those set of strings

on for over a year now.

Anyway, I hope that this helps.

Yana Wells.

One more word from 'Mr insulting'. It was not my intention to insult you, I merely don't understand why one would have such an excess of rosin on the strings if they wiped them down after every session. As for using the dime, I know many, many players who do that. (You don't specifically have to use a dime, but buying some kind of special cloth from a music store is just a waste of money. As far as the latest remark about using purfume on a cloth, well, the active ingrediant in that is alchohol. Rubbing alchohol will to the same as perfume without the smell but I would not recommend it simply because it is just too dangerous. Just a tiny amount on the finish leaves an unmaskable blemish in the finish of the instrument and an accidental spill could be awful.

As far as your fourth finger, make sure that you play on the pad of the finger and come as close you can to bisecting the pad where you make contact with the string. The fourth finger is always the weak point in left hand technique and if yours is not strong enough, you may not be getting enough pressure into the string to produce a clear tone. Also make sure that you check your intonation on these notes on the upper string, for good intonation will always improve tone immessurably. If you find that your fourth finger is to weak, try sevick exercises in first position #6 and the chromatics in the back of the book. Also apply rythmes based on four notes within these exercises. Pierre Nerini also wrote some great exercises but I suspect they are a little advanced for you.

:

: : : I nkow who you are and I saw what you did. Better watch out or I'll give everyone on the board your e-mail address and I'll make sure an alarm goes off every time you get a message!

Mrs. P