Maestronet Forums

Giovan paolo Maggini?

Tom

Giovan paolo Maginni

brescia 1616

Is what it says inside, all letters typed except the

2nd. 16, which is written after the first on a

pre-printed label..

Any input of age or origin..I assume the double purfling?

is standard equipmnt for the make? Needs a makeover..

thanks in advance tom..

Your instrument is most likely a French instrument made in Mirecourt, about a century ago. Double purfling and labels like the one you described are consistant with the trade, although it is possible to be German or any other nationality. It is almost completely doubtful that it authentic. It probably is worth between 1,000 to 2,000 dollars, depending on condition.

Sincerely,

Daniel Medina

: Giovan paolo Maginni

: brescia 1616

: Is what it says inside, all letters typed except the

: 2nd. 16, which is written after the first on a

: pre-printed label..

: Any input of age or origin..I assume the double purfling?

: is standard equipmnt for the make? Needs a makeover..

: thanks in advance tom..

: Your instrument is most likely a French instrument made in Mirecourt, about a century ago. Double purfling and labels like the one you described are consistant with the trade, although it is possible to be German or any other nationality. It is almost completely doubtful that it authentic. It probably is worth between 1,000 to 2,000 dollars, depending on condition.

: Sincerely,

: Daniel Medina

: My violin is a Maginni model made by Paul Bailly. It has double purflings and an extra twisty in the scroll. I have seen only 3 Maginni models and all are made in this way. I have learned that Maginni actually put 1/2 LESS a turn in the scroll but it got turned around over the centuries of copies and eventually got and full EXTRA twist. Maginni violins are known for their dark tone and are highly responsive.

: : Giovan paolo Maginni

: : brescia 1616

: : Is what it says inside, all letters typed except the

: : 2nd. 16, which is written after the first on a

: : pre-printed label..

: : Any input of age or origin..I assume the double purfling?

: : is standard equipmnt for the make? Needs a makeover..

: : thanks in advance tom..

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have recently acquired a 3/4 sized instrument. The label bears the words Giovan Paolo Maggini fecit in Brecia in 1694.

Now I know this instrument is not authentic for several reasons. 1: Maggini labels were never placed under the f hole. they were always placed in the centre of the back of the instrument.

2: Maggini was the pupil and successor of Gasparo da Salo. Maggini began producing violins in 1609 when Gasparo da Salo died. Therefore, it stands to reason that Maggini would have been either too old to work, or quite possibly dead in 1694, when my instrument is dated.

3: If Maggini did make child-sized instruments, they were extremely rare.

Now, although I know my violin is a fake, it is a top class instrument, and very beautiful too. The scroll is carved into the shape of a man's head, and the back is inlaid in a delicate design.

Do not despair, though. Depending on the conition of your instrument, it could be worth upto two and a half thousand pounds (sterling).

I hope my comments have been of use to you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

: Real Maggini lables are never dated and are placed in the center of the back not under the f hole.

I have a Maggini violin also, and just found out a little about it. It is a student violin from early 19th century. 16--(mine is "77" is number made, not date. If can be tuned and is mellow and nice looking can be sold for about $200. Is this anything anyone else knows, or is it incorrect? Appreciate hearing.