Sign in to follow this  
staylor

Which Sex?

This makes me pretty happy...

I guessed right for all of you.

My very first impression of Huang was that he... was a she. I quickly changed my mind though, and by the fourth month of his posting I was sure that he was a he.

I hope that I'm pretty clearly a male. I think I've even signed some of my messages as Stephen. Oh... ummm, I'm Libra and I think I'm year of the Dragon. I'll go check and report back.

Je suis une fille. Something like that. That's just the basic French I know, so I hope people won't write anything to me in it, but why not just write my response in English? Anyway, I'll stop typing now.

smile.gif

I thought this would be a really dumb thread and it's really good! Cynical me.

I'm a male, sometimes I sign my name Brian, sometimes not.

There are lots of gender issues floating around the musical universe as in the rest of society. Someone talked about sex appeal a few posts back. Nowadays men are trying hard to be pretty like women have felt compelled to over the years.

As for teasing and boys being looked at as "sissy", etc., it seems that the kids who stick with strings and orchestra are those who area solidly in charge of their own identity. It's too bad that boys are always put on guard about their masculinity. It stinks. But once they make it to the pros, that doesn't happen anymore. I don't hear anyone making fun of Josh Bell for carrying around a violin, but if Joe Schmoe in 7th grade in Greencastle, Indiana walks to the bus with one he's called names. Why should we care if a little guy wears mascara, a skirt, and pastes a picture of 'N Sync on his locker? Let's get on over it!!

- Brian

Thought I had better answer.

River:I'm not the Phoenix, just the dog.

F, but I think it's pretty obvious by my "sissy, sissy writing voice"

Is there in fact a clear difference? Can a true analyst distinguish beyond doubt from a recording, if it is a man or woman playing?

I would think such a thing IS possible.

Some people claim that they can tell the difference between men and women and the way that they play. I find this easy to believe because I can almost always tell the difference between the ways the men and women write.