Maestronet Forums

transducer vs. miking

Hi,

For some years, I performed with various electrical groups and used a Barcus Berry contact pick-up which was hard-glued to the back center of the bridge. I knew what it was capable of and certainly had no trouble being heard over the other amplified instruments and vocals. However, I didn't like the sound I heard and tried various amplifiers and P.A.'s, experimented with various effects and tried mufflers and mutes, all to try to attain a pure violin sound. I finally reached a compromise and "settled" for a sound I could live with, though I wasn't happy.

For the past three years I worked with an acoustic group and when we perform, the instruments are miked. Depending on the system and the microphone, I usually like the sound that is produced.

Recently, I have been offered some work with an active and accomplished band (casually) and am once more faced with "electrifying" my sound.

Having heard the Fishman pick-up, I am leaning toward a clip-on condenser microphone I recently saw being used by a performing fiddler. But I would appreciate any advise I can get on this topic.

Many thanks, Denis

: Hi,

: For some years, I performed with various electrical groups and used a Barcus Berry contact pick-up which was hard-glued to the back center of the bridge. I knew what it was capable of and certainly had no trouble being heard over the other amplified instruments and vocals. However, I didn't like the sound I heard and tried various amplifiers and P.A.'s, experimented with various effects and tried mufflers and mutes, all to try to attain a pure violin sound. I finally reached a compromise and "settled" for a sound I could live with, though I wasn't happy.

: For the past three years I worked with an acoustic group and when we perform, the instruments are miked. Depending on the system and the microphone, I usually like the sound that is produced.

: Recently, I have been offered some work with an active and accomplished band (casually) and am once more faced with "electrifying" my sound.

: Having heard the Fishman pick-up, I am leaning toward a clip-on condenser microphone I recently saw being used by a performing fiddler. But I would appreciate any advise I can get on this topic.

: Many thanks, Denis

>>Yah, I use a Fishman on my acoustic fiddle as a back-up for my Barcus-Berry electric fiddle that has a transducer built into the bridge. The problem I've had with the Fishman is that it can move around, sometimes in the middle of a song, changing the tone drastically (and it wasn't spectacular to begin with--I concur with your findings). One of the downsides to a clip-on lapel-style mic is that sometimes they'll even pick up your breathing--or swearing when you hit those clams (I should speak for myself). L.R. Baggs makes a dual transducer/mini-mic system, that involves a transducer that is fastened (immobile but easily removed) to the bridge, and a mini-mic that is suspended inside the violin (much less problem with extraneous exhalations and exhortations). I think Fishman has a system like this as well. This sort of dual system is usually used in conjunction with a preamp/EQ/blender (a preamp & EQ are ALWAYS a good idea when using a transducer). The blender allows you to mix the transducer & mic signals into one beautiful sound (hopefully) that will cut over the band, and not feedback. If feedback is a problem, you could just use the mic signal for the out front PA sound, and the transducer exclusively for your monitor feed or amped stage sound. Good luck! -ChrisW

Hi there,

My name is David from Ottawa, Canada. You should try the knew Barcus Barry bridge Piezo. It's the nicest sound I have had yet for my fiddle. It is very close to the original sound of the instrument. I used to use the Fishman bridge piezo but since I tried the Barcus Barry, I`ll never go back.

David Pichette

Fiddul@hotmail.com

Chris is right, there is a fishman version and if it is an amplified accoustic sound you are after, blending is the ticket. The idea is that you get most of your gain off pickup, then warm the sound with the microphone and blend the two together to get the best aspects of both mediums. It works well as a general theory and I recommend the fishman blender box, but it may be worth your while to find a mic that you like best and then a pickup that you like best and blend them together. For working with just a pickup, you would probably be best off working with a hard body fully electric violin.

Adean

: : Hi,

: : For some years, I performed with various electrical groups and used a Barcus Berry contact pick-up which was hard-glued to the back center of the bridge. I knew what it was capable of and certainly had no trouble being heard over the other amplified instruments and vocals. However, I didn't like the sound I heard and tried various amplifiers and P.A.'s, experimented with various effects and tried mufflers and mutes, all to try to attain a pure violin sound. I finally reached a compromise and "settled" for a sound I could live with, though I wasn't happy.

: : For the past three years I worked with an acoustic group and when we perform, the instruments are miked. Depending on the system and the microphone, I usually like the sound that is produced.

: : Recently, I have been offered some work with an active and accomplished band (casually) and am once more faced with "electrifying" my sound.

: : Having heard the Fishman pick-up, I am leaning toward a clip-on condenser microphone I recently saw being used by a performing fiddler. But I would appreciate any advise I can get on this topic.

: : Many thanks, Denis

: >>Yah, I use a Fishman on my acoustic fiddle as a back-up for my Barcus-Berry electric fiddle that has a transducer built into the bridge. The problem I've had with the Fishman is that it can move around, sometimes in the middle of a song, changing the tone drastically (and it wasn't spectacular to begin with--I concur with your findings). One of the downsides to a clip-on lapel-style mic is that sometimes they'll even pick up your breathing--or swearing when you hit those clams (I should speak for myself). L.R. Baggs makes a dual transducer/mini-mic system, that involves a transducer that is fastened (immobile but easily removed) to the bridge, and a mini-mic that is suspended inside the violin (much less problem with extraneous exhalations and exhortations). I think Fishman has a system like this as well. This sort of dual system is usually used in conjunction with a preamp/EQ/blender (a preamp & EQ are ALWAYS a good idea when using a transducer). The blender allows you to mix the transducer & mic signals into one beautiful sound (hopefully) that will cut over the band, and not feedback. If feedback is a problem, you could just use the mic signal for the out front PA sound, and the transducer exclusively for your monitor feed or amped stage sound. Good luck! -ChrisW

: Hi there,

: My name is David from Ottawa, Canada. You should try the knew Barcus Barry bridge Piezo. It's the nicest sound I have had yet for my fiddle. It is very close to the original sound of the instrument. I used to use the Fishman bridge piezo but since I tried the Barcus Barry, I`ll never go back.

: David Pichette

: Fiddul@hotmail.com

Chris,

I use a Fishman V-200 pickup which wedges into the wing-slot of the bridge of my fiddle, I then have it hooked up to a belt-mounted PRO-EQ equalizer/pre-amp. The sound is pretty good. Be sure to get your bridge's wingslot professionally prepared by a luthier, this way you won't have any problems

with the transducer sliding around. Make sure to ALWAYS use a pre-amp. Mount the pickup on the G string side of the bridge (opposite of what Fishman recommends) and if you get the V-200 with the clamp-on 1/4" Carpenter Jack, mount in the mirror image position to a side mounted chinrest.

Fishman says that you should mount it high up on the left hand side of the box, but I found that this really damped the sound of the violin; a violin is designed to have something mounted there anyway so it really has no effect on the acoustic sound of the fiddle.

People say that the Baggs is the best sounding transducer but I found that it really was not all that better, the Fishman is removable and when you change your bridge you don't also have to change the pickup.

No doubt that the best sound is that of a pickup/mike combo with a blender, but these are really expensive, just depends how much money you have to blow.

Tips from Stuart Duncan: he told me to cut everything above about 800-900Hz and get a little delay and a little reverb.

Good Luck!

Paul

: : Hi there,

: : My name is David from Ottawa, Canada. You should try the knew Barcus Barry bridge Piezo. It's the nicest sound I have had yet for my fiddle. It is very close to the original sound of the instrument. I used to use the Fishman bridge piezo but since I tried the Barcus Barry, I`ll never go back.

: : David Pichette

: : Fiddul@hotmail.com

: Chris,

: I use a Fishman V-200 pickup which wedges into the wing-slot of the bridge of my fiddle, I then have it hooked up to a belt-mounted PRO-EQ equalizer/pre-amp. The sound is pretty good. Be sure to get your bridge's wingslot professionally prepared by a luthier, this way you won't have any problems

: with the transducer sliding around. Make sure to ALWAYS use a pre-amp. Mount the pickup on the G string side of the bridge (opposite of what Fishman recommends) and if you get the V-200 with the clamp-on 1/4" Carpenter Jack, mount in the mirror image position to a side mounted chinrest.

: Fishman says that you should mount it high up on the left hand side of the box, but I found that this really damped the sound of the violin; a violin is designed to have something mounted there anyway so it really has no effect on the acoustic sound of the fiddle.

: People say that the Baggs is the best sounding transducer but I found that it really was not all that better, the Fishman is removable and when you change your bridge you don't also have to change the pickup.

: No doubt that the best sound is that of a pickup/mike combo with a blender, but these are really expensive, just depends how much money you have to blow.

: Tips from Stuart Duncan: he told me to cut everything above about 800-900Hz and get a little delay and a little reverb.

: Good Luck!

: Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the advice on the Fishman. Yah, I don't really have the extra wad to blow on a mike/transducer blender system, and would like to just make the Fishman work better.Actually,my main giggin'axe (or should I say hatchet) is a black Barcus-Berry with the transducer in the bridge and the volume pot,etc.--which I'm really happy with, but it would be great to have my acoustic fiddle be more matched sonically to the Barcus. I finally got a little BOSS digital reverb (since my amp doesn't have any), which has been great. Before that, I would use a long delay with a quiet return to simulate reverb--nice for those beautiful long slow phrases. I still use it for that sometimes. Thanks again for the Fishman tip! I'm curious...what kind of performing do you do (music-style), and what's your entire equipment setup like? --ChrisW

: Paul,

: Thanks for the advice on the Fishman. Yah, I don't really have the extra wad to blow on a mike/transducer blender system, and would like to just make the Fishman work better.Actually,my main giggin'axe (or should I say hatchet) is a black Barcus-Berry with the transducer in the bridge and the volume pot,etc.--which I'm really happy with, but it would be great to have my acoustic fiddle be more matched sonically to the Barcus. I finally got a little BOSS digital reverb (since my amp doesn't have any), which has been great. Before that, I would use a long delay with a quiet return to simulate reverb--nice for those beautiful long slow phrases. I still use it for that sometimes. Thanks again for the Fishman tip! I'm curious...what kind of performing do you do (music-style), and what's your entire equipment setup like? --ChrisW

Chris,

Did you ever get the email I sent you?