breaking in new strings

greg

Generally, how long does it take to "break in" a set of new strings? I am new to violins, taking lessons, and it seems everytime I pick up my violin to play it is badly out of tune. How much longer do I have to take this? I have a week between lessons, and let me tell you, six days of "out of tune" twinkle twinkle little star may not only end up driving me nuts, but the neighbors' dogs are going to need therapy too. They are steel strings. Just wanted to know. Thanks

Steel strings basically don't require a breakin period. My suggestion to you is that you have your teacher give you a lesson on tuning. Also get a pitch pipe and work on playing two strings together for long strokes so that eventually you will be able to tune the instrument very accurately. A perfectly tuned fifth has a very distinct sound free of audible harmonics other than reenforcing in various octaves the two pitches that are being sounded in the fifth. That is why it is a perfect interval. Same is true of octaves and fourths. Gut strings and various synthetic strings have a breakin period, gut being the longest, but perlon has a very short break-in for keeping pitch, it usually has to be played for a while to break in the tone.

Adean

: Generally, how long does it take to "break in" a set of new strings? I am new to violins, taking lessons, and it seems everytime I pick up my violin to play it is badly out of tune. How much longer do I have to take this? I have a week between lessons, and let me tell you, six days of "out of tune" twinkle twinkle little star may not only end up driving me nuts, but the neighbors' dogs are going to need therapy too. They are steel strings. Just wanted to know. Thanks

I am not sure your problem is your strings. IT could

be the pegs coming loose! have your teacher check

this, if indeed it is the pegs, there are several

different things that can be done, depending on

the severity of the problem!

Mimi

: Generally, how long does it take to "break in" a set of new strings? I am new to violins, taking lessons, and it seems everytime I pick up my violin to play it is badly out of tune. How much longer do I have to take this? I have a week between lessons, and let me tell you, six days of "out of tune" twinkle twinkle little star may not only end up driving me nuts, but the neighbors' dogs are going to need therapy too. They are steel strings. Just wanted to know. Thanks

I second Mimi's opinion. I've found with perlon and steel core strings that when they lose tension, they all lose it at approximately the same rate, so that while every string is a little flat, the violin stays in tune with itself. Check to see if your pegs need refitting and get your teacher to show you how to tune.

A poor neck alignment will give that effect. Sight along the back from end pin to the center of the scroll. If it's still hard to tell hold a piece of sting or thread above these points. If this is the cause and has been going on for a few weeks it will be pretty obvious if things are out of wack.

Wishing it is not so,

Raymond