Maestronet Forums

Violin Lessons

Anne

It is great that you want to learn the violin. However, the violin is a very time consuming and tedious instrument. A high level of practicing is needed to maintain and improve your playing ability. I really don't think it is possible to learn the violin in a half year or a year. Not even in two or three. People who have been playing for decades are still learning from themselves and their own performances and experiences. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it can't be mastered in one year or ten.

Good luck. and don't get discouraged. Performing a great piece that you worked hard at is a very rewarding experience.

kreisler13

: I need to know how long it takes to learn the violin.

: Does it take a year half a year?

: and I have a budget of about 700 dollars.

That is like asking how long is a piece of string. It is as long as you want it to be. How proficient do you want to be? What sort of music do you want to play?

I have been taking lessons for about 3 months, and can play a few nice songs well enough to impress myself, if not my family. I am sure my intonation is rather crude, but I am pleased with my progress.

The violin is fairly difficult to play as you can hear off of CD's, but it allows a lot more selfexpression than from other instruments. That amount of freedom is exhilirating but a tad intimidating.

The only way to really know if the fiddle is for you, is to rent one for a few months and take lessons.

Happy fiddling,

Hello Anne,

I'm the mom of a violinist. I have seen your posts here, and I see you are really looking for information and trying to figure out how to start playing violin.

Do you have an orchestra program at your school? This is a good place to start playing, and it is fun to play with other kids. The orchestra or string director might help you get a violin, or tell you where to go. If not, ask your parents to look in the Yello Pages under "violin." Also look under "musical instruments." Your first choice should be a violin shop in a good-sized city. Have your mom or dad talk to the school music director and then talk on the phone to the music store. If you are on a budget, perhaps you can rent-to-buy. You probably could have a full-size violin at age 12, but the violin shop will tell you.

If there is no school program, try to find a person who could be your violin teacher. Ask advice about which violin to buy when you interview the teacher. Often teachers are willing to give you personal advice over the phone before you ever take a lesson. Locate a teacher by finding out who plays in your local orchestra, if there is one, or who teaches at your local college. If not, one possibility is to ask local piano teachers (there's bound to be one of those around) who is teaching violin. If you are really on a tight budget, an advanced high school or college student might be cheapest but still good. Is there a youth orchestra in your town? They might have a list of teachers.

You will need to take approximately one private lesson per week and practice about a half-hour per day to start if you want to make good progress. Even if your school has a program that includes violin, it would be good to take private lessons. You will be happier with your progress if you have individual help.

If you already play piano, that is a big advantage for violin. You already know how to read music and count.

The costs of learning violin will depend on your interest, but you should be able to get started well for $700. Maybe when your parents see how interested you are, they will continue to help you study. My daughter has been taking lessons since grade school, and this fall will study music in college. The more she plays violin (and viola) the more she likes it. Good luck to you. All this advice is from a MOM, not a violinist!

Yours,

Ann Brown

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

: : I need to know how long it takes to learn the violin.

: : Does it take a year half a year?

: : and I have a budget of about 700 dollars.

: That is like asking how long is a piece of string. It is as long as you want it to be. How proficient do you want to be? What sort of music do you want to play?

: I have been taking lessons for about 3 months, and can play a few nice songs well enough to impress myself, if not my family. I am sure my intonation is rather crude, but I am pleased with my progress.

: The violin is fairly difficult to play as you can hear off of CD's, but it allows a lot more selfexpression than from other instruments. That amount of freedom is exhilirating but a tad intimidating.

: The only way to really know if the fiddle is for you, is to rent one for a few months and take lessons.

:

: Happy fiddling,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

: : I need to know how long it takes to learn the violin.

: : Does it take a year half a year?

: : and I have a budget of about 700 dollars.

: That is like asking how long is a piece of string. It is as long as you want it to be. How proficient do you want to be? What sort of music do you want to play?

: I have been taking lessons for about 3 months, and can play a few nice songs well enough to impress myself, if not my family. I am sure my intonation is rather crude, but I am pleased with my progress.

: The violin is fairly difficult to play as you can hear off of CD's, but it allows a lot more selfexpression than from other instruments. That amount of freedom is exhilirating but a tad intimidating.

: The only way to really know if the fiddle is for you, is to rent one for a few months and take lessons.

:

: Happy fiddling,

• 3 weeks later...