Maestronet Forums

E-string problem

Samantha

Hi....this problem happens often...lots of the time it is caused by the e-string being too deep in the bridge notch. Lowering the wood around the e-string and installing a bit of thin hide over the place the string goes...glue hide to bridge, or get your luthier to do it. The string must just barely have enought depth to hold...any more is too much.

There are many other causes...this one happens most.

Regards,

Al

: I don't know why my E string often has screeching sound when I string cross to E string. Is the problem related to the quality of the string?

: Thank you in advance!

: Samantha

: I don't know why my E string often has screeching sound when I string cross to E string. Is the problem related to the quality of the string?

: Thank you in advance!

: Samantha

This is a common problem, and I have read about solutions on this bulletin board.

For one thing, some very good strings have the problem on some very good violins. I have experienced the problem with Pirastro Goldstahl E strings (the strings that come in their Olive set, one of the most expensive string sets). There are several ways to eliminate the problem.

(1) Switch from a "wire" string to a wrapped string - I think that the Tonica E string is an example, but there are others as well. Most catalogs offer sufficient description of the strings.

(2) Remove the little "protective tube" from the bridge, and just let the string sit on the bridge notch - but be sure the notch is reinforced with a leather or parchment protector - or, a drop of super glue, when fully hardened will protect it.

(3) Sometimes, just a different brand of wire string will solve the problem.

(4) Sometimes, this problem occurs because the pad of your left index finger is contacting the E string and causing an overtone (in this case a false tone) to sound. It that is the case, the bridge might be too far toward the E string and need centering.

Andy