Maestronet Forums

Bidding Wars

steveg

I didn't see the violin in question on e-bay, but your $1400.00 appraisel might be low for a Roth in good condition. These days old Roths are ascribed values more in aesthetic terms than based on a model number. Roths from the 1920's have drawn steadily increasing interest for as long as I have been in the trade. Even though they were sold according to the model numbers, these do not always accurately reflect the quality of the specimen. I have heard of Roths selling retail for upwards of $8000.00 and in my estimation some are worth that.

S. Hersh

It's surprising to see what prices things go for on ebay. Some seem real low and other prices too high. Some of the high prices I bet don't go through because a lot of times I see the same instruments up a second time a few weeks later. I only buy from the dealers I know now on ebay. There is just too much junk out there to take chances but it seems that people still get some decent deals on ebay....they are just fewer and farther between now.

I think that the Roth violins dating from the 1920's are considerably better violins than the more recently made Roths. I often see the older ones sold in the $5,000.-6,000 range and consider them to be excellent values. The older Roths have a nice, softer

oil varnish, beauitiful maple and exhibit rather nice workmanship.

: Well I've seen all now.... the "Violin Bargan Hunters" on Ebay

: have managed to bid up a Roth IV-R violin to over $2000.00.

: The last time I checked, I thought that model was worth about $1400.00 retail.

: Maybe violins will be the new "Beanie Baby" for violin collectors.

Hello:

The Roth violins from 1928 to 1923 are indeed quite nice. I recently sold a VR, in perfect condition, for $6,300. The new owner is very pleased...a beautiful violin, wonderful sound, solid construction,well set-up.

As for e-bay...condition is always questioned...some folks don't know good condition from bad.

Auctions draw out the competitive bidding instinct, and, I agree, many things go for more than they are worth.

I doubt if there are any bargains on e-bay, but very interesting!!

Al

: The last time I checked, I thought that model was worth about $1400.00 retail.

: "I only buy from the dealers I know now on ebay." Which dealers would they be? Also - if purchasing a violin to play, isn't it chancy purchasing one without actully taking the time to play it first? Or does one need to know a lot more about violins than I do to even consider doing this?

I would say that you do need to know more. The inexperienced buyer trying to buy at a wholesale price is setting him or herself up for disaster. The best "deals" in the trade are most often snapped up by savy and experienced dealers. With only a rare exception, "deals" that are available to the novice are available for one reason or another; they are not deals at all.

S. Hersh

: : "I only buy from the dealers I know now on ebay." Which dealers would they be? Also - if purchasing a violin to play, isn't it chancy purchasing one without actully taking the time to play it first? Or does one need to know a lot more about violins than I do to even consider doing this?

I picked up a Roth (Ernst Jr.) violin this summer for $1800 that just appraised out to $2500. Money was not a factor yet the violin was my first choice (subjective) over dozens at 2 to 3 times its cost.

It is a 1962 copy of a 1724 Strad.

The work is exquisite and it sings like a Siren's song.

I couldn't be happier.

Alan

Recently I have seen instruments that were sold on Ebay several months ago, re-appearing for sale by their new owner. Considering that many of the bidders and buyers are repeat customers, one can only assume that the instrument was not of good enough quaility to keep, or sell from a shop.

As for the comments regarding Roth violins, I notice that every one has the better quailty models, not the medium quality "Soloist" model IV-R that was sold on Ebay.

The 1724 Strad copy mentioned in a post, is "The Concertmaster" model VII-R, $1800.00 to $2000.00 is a fair wholesale price for that instrument. The IV-R sold on Ebay was just not worth $2000.00!!!

The bidders on Ebay need to become more educated as to which instruments are good modern violins. A Roth or Heberlein label does not mean you have a great violin, anymore than than the good old Stradivarius label means you have a real Strad. Roth, and Sherl and Roth cranked out thousands of violins a year. Except for those instruments that were certified as hand made by Ernst Roth III, you can bet that all the others were cranked out in the white, and then finished to meet some particular model description.