Heifetz at his Last Recital

LHY

I do not wish to be part of some protracted debate, but if truth be told, I will have to agree that Yo Yo Ma has not earned his fame from excellent playing, but from media hype. He is an intellegent, well spoken record company darling. You and the rest of the world would like anyone that could play okay if they were advertised as much as he was.

i have never been a fan of yo yo, and i guess i would agree that he seems to be much more famous than his talent deserves (i have heard him in concert many times and i have many of his recordings). my relatives that are cellists are not especially fond of his playing, but point out that he has brought a renewed popularity to the cello, and cello music (i guess much in the way casals had). if you read between the lines of yo yo ma reviews by strad magazine you will see that they are rather hard on him though and seem to imply that he has limits to his playing, or things that get in the way of him being the "best".they often seem to be making fun of him.

mike

• 3 months later...

Do you know why that was his last concert? It just so happens that he had made a few slip-ups in earlier concerts. Many people went to see this concert just to hear him mess up. However I believe that any sound out of Heifetz is a true step above anyone except perhaps Paganini, of whom we have no recordings. Jascha Heifetz needs to be appreciated by musicians for his fine work! To critique someone who is perhaps the greatest violinist of all times is in my eyes completely insane. Just thinking about it makes me sick.

• 1 month later...

I don't know any of you, or whether you actually

_play_ an instrument, but I just hope he (Mr. Ma) never reads this nonsense. There is nothing "wrong" with him, at all. And anyone who plays a stringed instrument, or any instrument, for that matter, should know that perfect intonation or control of the physics of the instrument is problematic for the best of us. Lots of notes are lots under the piano, in other words, but what matters, always and primarily, is whether the performer moves us emotionally. No one mentions this, which is the main issue. I can only think that unkind and untrue comments like this are motivated by professional jealousy.

: Can you give the reasons why they (or you) think Ma is a joke of a cellist? Seems like an absurd statement to me. What are your proofs?

• 1 month later...

: Its recording is issued on the last volume of the Heifetz Collection. At that recital in '72, he played Franck, Strauss, Bach, Ravel, etc

: Now, a friend heard it told me that old Heifetz was frequently out of tune, inconsistent bowing. In short, a bad performance, now made a bad recording. The friend of mine also mentioned slips and so on. He couldn't find any good with that concert. But, he told I should listen to that recording if I had the chance. On first look, I thought he was exagerrating. But when I discovered Heifetz did have serious arm problems late in his life, I realised how true my friend's comment may be.

: May anyone like to further comment on this?

Mr. Heifetz last performance is a very special one. Even at the age of 72 he never avoided risks. The whole

perfomance is up to the Heifetz standard. Excuse me..

why comment one of the great recordings of this century? Thanks Mr. Heifetz for this outstanding performance. Enjoy above all!

Vincent

• 3 weeks later...

: I went to Music School with Nina Kotova. I was a composer. I purposely wrote a cello piece I thought would be too hard for her to play and she ended up playing the hell out of it. I am not surprised at all that she has had the success she has had and yes, she is very beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

: I read the Times article on Kotova and have check with Philips Cassical but can't fine her CD. Can any one help me?

try going to a Borders BookStore in your area, or go to borders.com. They usually have it or else can ship it to you within a few days. I have the CD - it is incredible

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everybody seems pretty keen to comment on Nina Kotova's good looks, but nobody mentions Yo-Yo Ma's looks? Do they think he's ugly? Or do they think it's irrelevant how good looking a male musician is? Have you noticed that every well known female musician is good looking? It seems to be obvious that women can only play well if they are good looking. :)