Maestronet Forums

Vivaldi vs. Bach

Which came first Vivaldi's Concerto X or Bach's Concerto for Four Harpsichords? They sound almost identical. I heard Bach was an admirer of Vivaldi and that he may of taken it, and I heard that Vivaldi may have given it to Bach so he could rewrite it for a church setting. Enlighten me please.

Michael

The Vivaldi came first. That one is in op. 6 L'estro Armonico as I recall. Bach transcibed several Vivaldi works for study as well as whatever practical use it may have been. Bach was hungry for whatever he could get from the other masters of the day and occasionally traveled for this purpose. He was unsuccessful in meeting Handel who by chance or by intent managed to leave before Bach arrived. By the standards of the time this was not even considered stealing. Copying was the main way works got from place to place. Our current world where big bucks and big law suits over tiny hook fragments of pop songs and vague resemblances to same (G. Harrison My Sweet Lord case for example) was not the world then. Themes were common property, use and development was the measure of the artist. (Like the infinite renditions of Round Midnight in jazz today).

: The Vivaldi came first. That one is in op. 6 L'estro Armonico as I recall. Bach transcibed several Vivaldi works for study as well as whatever practical use it may have been. Bach was hungry for whatever he could get from the other masters of the day and occasionally traveled for this purpose. He was unsuccessful in meeting Handel who by chance or by intent managed to leave before Bach arrived. By the standards of the time this was not even considered stealing. Copying was the main way works got from place to place. Our current world where big bucks and big law suits over tiny hook fragments of pop songs and vague resemblances to same (G. Harrison My Sweet Lord case for example) was not the world then. Themes were common property, use and development was the measure of the artist. (Like the infinite renditions of Round Midnight in jazz today).