Maestronet Forums

Elbow Movement ?

Hello :)

I'm hoping someone could kindly help me out with a lil advice with the correct arm movement in bowing . I have been having some problems with the bow bouncing on downward strokes . I'm a beginner so please bare with me :) As an example , when only playing the open A string with long bowing strokes , my elbow was moving up and down a lil , which I make the assumption is bad . So what I'm wondering, what is regarded as healthy elbow movement ? I tried to keep my arm and bow in the same bowing plane in an attempt to let my arms natural weight draw the sound , which has helped . But I still move my elbow inwards towards my body about the same time as my wrist bends inwards when the frog nears the string . Is this OK ? Again , forgive me if this is a rather obvious question :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated .Thank You Kindly ..

• 2 weeks later...

: Hello :)

: I'm hoping someone could kindly help me out with a lil advice with the correct arm movement in bowing . I have been having some problems with the bow bouncing on downward strokes . I'm a beginner so please bare with me :) As an example , when only playing the open A string with long bowing strokes , my elbow was moving up and down a lil , which I make the assumption is bad . So what I'm wondering, what is regarded as healthy elbow movement ? I tried to keep my arm and bow in the same bowing plane in an attempt to let my arms natural weight draw the sound , which has helped . But I still move my elbow inwards towards my body about the same time as my wrist bends inwards when the frog nears the string . Is this OK ? Again , forgive me if this is a rather obvious question :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated .Thank You Kindly ..

The shoulder controls the height of the elbow. Keep the shoulder released but stable at the same height and that should help steady the bow and elbow. Also read my comment for BS-S.:-)