Jim

I am thinking of selling my violin in the future and considering

e-bay online auction as one of the options. The thing is that I

currently reside in Europe. I am not sure whether I can still

take advantage of e-bay. Will there be any disadvantage or

obstacle due to my residency? Will I get the good price for my

violin? What is the procedure for selling the violin through

e-bay? I would appreciate the advice.

The most limiting factor to an eBay international sale will be for the violin to clear US customs with-out a huge tariff. That is assuming of course that the violin is bought by a US citizen. Keep your fingers crossed that it does not go to Mexico !! I recently sent a violin to Japan and customs there held it for 2 months and asessed an aditional $500.00 tariff, a violin that I sent to Switzerland was held for 5 weeks, but no additional tariff was applied.

Also, agree with buyer up front what currancy is to be used, and try to avoid wire funds transactions. It can take the banks up to a month to route money to an oversea account. If you already have an account with a major internatioanl bank then it will be no problem.

Be aware that the prices paid on eBay amount to wholesale values. If you are looking for top dollar then you would be better off placing the violin on consignment with a well known violin dealer.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I am considering BUYing a violin on Ebay. One was a J. Olry, 1832 (is that a good violin and do you have anyidea of its genl. worth) also - 2 are listed as Guadagnini & Rocca - I'm sure they are copies. But, one was said to have belonged to a former player at teh Indianapolis Symphony, and teh other from a wealthy collector. Can one get lucky? TAke a chance? These are going for $1300 and 770. Opinion? Can one tell by pictures? Lots of questions but the answers will benefit us all!

I am considering BUYing a violin on Ebay. One was a J. Olry, 1832 (is that a good violin and do you have anyidea of its genl. worth) also - 2 are listed as Guadagnini & Rocca - I'm sure they are copies. But, one was said to have belonged to a former player at teh Indianapolis Symphony, and teh other from a wealthy collector. Can one get lucky? TAke a chance? These are going for $1300 and 770. Opinion? Can one tell by pictures? Lots of questions but the answers will benefit us all!