Maestronet Forums

Solo vs. Orchestra

kreisler13

Each medium has its delights. But for the depth of communication in musical and emotional terms, well played chamber music (one on a part) is the ultimate satisfaction for the player. (My opinion, of course, and just about all I know, as well.)

Orchestra is great for getting lost in the crowd (as a string player) and for low stress performance.

Solo, and especially solo with an orchestra, is probably the highest stress, but largely under the control of the conductor, and therefore not always completely satisfying.

Chamber music can be played for one's own amazement and amusement. I think it is best when a group works up its selections to performance quality, because you can all see how much is in the music and how to bring it out - even if performance does not follow. Of course if you are playing something that well, you can usually find a performace venue. But even sight-reading sessions are a delight and can be deep experiences. I find chamber music performances to be about as stressful as solos because of the "one on a part" situation.

String quartets (and quintets) are the ultimate, but piano trios, and other works with piano, can help keep an amateur ensemble on better intonation and all the greats wrote for these combos too. Dynamics and phrasing can be problems unless the pianist is really to-notch

Andy

: Each medium has its delights. But for the depth of communication in musical and emotional terms, well played chamber music (one on a part) is the ultimate satisfaction for the player. (My opinion, of course, and just about all I know, as well.)

: Orchestra is great for getting lost in the crowd (as a string player) and for low stress performance.

: Solo, and especially solo with an orchestra, is probably the highest stress, but largely under the control of the conductor, and therefore not always completely satisfying.

: Chamber music can be played for one's own amazement and amusement. I think it is best when a group works up its selections to performance quality, because you can all see how much is in the music and how to bring it out - even if performance does not follow. Of course if you are playing something that well, you can usually find a performace venue. But even sight-reading sessions are a delight and can be deep experiences. I find chamber music performances to be about as stressful as solos because of the "one on a part" situation.

: String quartets (and quintets) are the ultimate, but piano trios, and other works with piano, can help keep an amateur ensemble on better intonation and all the greats wrote for these combos too. Dynamics and phrasing can be problems unless the pianist is really to-notch

: Andy