Maestronet Forums

My Violin Is Not Y2K Compliant!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurel

HELP!!!!!

I was informed today by the luthier who does repair work on my violin that my instrument is not compliant with Y2k!!!! He said that it had something to do with the sound peg and string support system, and would cost about $1800 to fix!!! My violin is a genuine A. Poggi, and is worth a substantial amount of money, but I simply don't have the cash to fix it (I extended myself financially when I bought the violin from him 9 months ago). My question is, don't you think that it was unethical for him to sell me the violin when all along he knew that in a few months it would not be Y2K compliant!!! I'm at my wits end and just feel sick!!

Linda

So, let me see if I have this straight:

He's telling you that, as of January 1, your violin won't boot up? When you bow it, it'll only return error messages?

My sister is getting married December 31. I've told her to check her minister--if he's not Y2K compliant, she may not be married the next morning!

So come clean--either your luthier is pulling your leg, or you're pulling _ours_. Which?

: HELP!!!!!

: I was informed today by the luthier who does repair work on my violin that my instrument is not compliant with Y2k!!!! He said that it had something to do with the sound peg and string support system, and would cost about $1800 to fix!!! My violin is a genuine A. Poggi, and is worth a substantial amount of money, but I simply don't have the cash to fix it (I extended myself financially when I bought the violin from him 9 months ago). My question is, don't you think that it was unethical for him to sell me the violin when all along he knew that in a few months it would not be Y2K compliant!!! I'm at my wits end and just feel sick!!

: Linda

: I was informed today by the luthier who does repair work on my violin that my instrument is not compliant with Y2k!!!! He said that it had something to do with the sound peg and string support system, and would cost about $1800 to fix!!! My violin is a genuine A. Poggi, and is worth a substantial amount of money, but I simply don't have the cash to fix it (I extended myself financially when I bought the violin from him 9 months ago). My question is, don't you think that it was unethical for him to sell me the violin when all along he knew that in a few months it would not be Y2K compliant!!! I'm at my wits end and just feel sick!!

I'm not a luthier, but I could make your violin Y2K

compliant by just checking if the spins of the atoms

that compose the wood are not aligned. If they are

aligned, I could take them out of alignement

using an advanced thermodynamical procedure

where we'd have to raise the violin's

temperature, if necessary, to something of

the order of 300K. This process is cheap and

would cost less than 800 dollars. I would be

happy to do it. :-)

But the Y2K suggested an interesting question

that knowleadgeable people probably knows. Is it

true that we only have violin music written after

1000 because of the Y1K bug, that resulted in

the loss of all prior written musics?

Just in case your post was serious, I would suggest you

call the police or something similar. At least that's

what I would do in my country, where your luthier

could face jail time (unless, of course, he is

rich, hence able to afford a good lawyer).

Acacio.

We occasionaly get some odd posting on this BBS.

I think your luthier is trying to pull a fast one.

Violins are not affected by Y2k. It seems he taking advantage of your naivete'. Please give me their name and number and I will be glad to call them.

Also, I would suggest that you go to another luthier and get a second opinion on the "upgrade".

best wishes

steve g.

Yes! I think that when a dealer sells an instrument that expensive, there should be some kind of "warranty" to go along with it. (Unless, of course, they tell you up front that there are problems...and adjust the price accordingly.) If the dealer isn't saavy enough to spot a really serious problem, then he probably should stick to dealing in Chinese violin outfits for students. The very least he could do for you (especially only nine months from the sale date) is charge you a very low price to fix it!

Also Sprach ZarathOOOooooooostra

We are not laughing at you, but this is a rather odd question. What exactly is this "upgrade"? Y2K would only effect something that keeps track of dates and time (actually Y2K is nothingness). What were you told was going to happen if you didn't get this "upgrade"? Is your instrument going to fall apart, or are the strings going to fail to function? I promise you that nothing will happen to your violin when the clock strikes 12:00 on 1/1/2000.

Ben

Linda - if your luthier is serious - he is either a bit nuts - or a serious criminal. The supposed Y2K bug (which has been vastly overblown) has to do with electronic devices - like a computer. It would have nothing to do with a wooden violin - no more than it would affect a watermelon. If he persists in this - try to get an estimate in writing and signed by him - and then take it to a lawyer. (By the way - I would hope you are not putting us all on, are you?)

Linda dear, we're (or at least I'm) laughing, but not _at_ you. I took it to be a tongue-in cheek post. If you were serious, and actually falling for that guy's snow job, let me ease your financial worries:

There is no such thing as a Y2K problem for violins. Except maybe violins that have electronics in them. If you can't plug in your violin, Y2k is meaningless for it. So, you don't have to come up with $18K. You don't even have to come up with $20, unless you want new strings or something.

The guy was taking you for a sucker. You should now go beat him.

: We occasionaly get some odd posting on this BBS.

: I think your luthier is trying to pull a fast one.

: Violins are not affected by Y2k. It seems he taking advantage of your naivete'. Please give me their name and number and I will be glad to call them.

: Also, I would suggest that you go to another luthier and get a second opinion on the "upgrade".

: best wishes

: steve g.

Linda - it's not that complicated. Depending on where you live, it should be easy to find someone who is honest to re-evaluate it. I would go back to that jerk and tell him he mis represented to you, and he should provide a warranty as one of the guys said - plus - absorb totally the repair. I'm a piano dealer and I could never get away with that. Second, if he doesn't agree to such, he should offer to repurchase the violin or you haul him to small claims court fo r the $2000. If he's in the wrong and knows it, he'll pay up fast etc. Second - I'd have that violin evaluated elsewhere (get a reco from one of these g

Hi Linda,

There has been a lot of joking going around in response to this. I am asuming that this is a serious post, unlike some others.

The Y2K thing may be a straight-on joke that is just irrelevant, but something that your luthier may have tried to joke around with.

It could also be a genuine cause for repair that the luthier has labelled as a "Y2K bug". However, you have stated that the Poggi is in working order. $1800 of restoration is a ton of work and that normally indicates drastic steps like neck resetting, half-edging, and other drastic work.

I think that it was a simple joke out of hand. If you think it is serious, just take it to another luthier and ask for an evaluation.

Daniel

Hello Everyone!!!!!!

I have some good news!!! My luthier called me today to let me know that he will be able to make my violin Y2K compliant for only $500.00 (which I am much more able to afford than the $1800.00). He told me that an elderly Italian violin maker came up with the low cost upgrade quite by accident. I didn't dwell too much on the technicalities of it, but he said it had to do the the alignment of the grain of the spruce sound peg with the blocks inside of the violin. I would like to thank everyone for their support during this rather trying time for me, but it will all be over on Friday when the upgrade is performed!!!

Wishing you all the very best,

Linda :)

: Hello Everyone!!!!!!
: I have some good news!!! My luthier called me today
to let me know that he will be able to make my violin
Y2K compliant for only $500.00 (which I am much more
able to afford than the $1800.00). He told me that an
elderly Italian violin maker came up with the low cost
upgrade quite by accident. I didn't dwell too much on
the technicalities of it, but he said it had to do the
the alignment of the grain of the spruce sound peg with
the blocks inside of the violin. I would like to thank
everyone for their support during this rather trying
time for me, but it will all be over on Friday when the
upgrade is performed!!!
: Wishing you all the very best,
: Linda :)

Linda,
This whole thing sounds fishy to me. If you are not pulling our leg and playing a joke on us, I then believe you have a serious problem dealing with this person. Please do yourself a favor and seek out the advice of another violin maker. Where are you located? If you are near a large city, go to one of the larger violin shops and check it out. While over there, have them also check out your violin to see if it is indeed what the seller said it was supposed to be. Please let us know where you are located, and also the name of this violinmaker who told you such things.
G Gregory

Don't you guys get it YET???

Linda was obviously posting her dilemma using a cute play on words. She's probably laughing her head off at all you geniuses knocking yourselves silly over the "Y2K" thing.

Who said that musicians are supposed to be intelligent?

Now, for those of you who failed kindergarten:

"not Y2K compliant" means "won't make it to the new year without the "upgrade" (repair)". Get it?

: Hello Everyone!!!!!!

: I have some good news!!! My luthier called me today to let me know that he will be able to make my violin Y2K compliant for only $500.00 (which I am much more able to afford than the $1800.00). He told me that an elderly Italian violin maker came up with the low cost upgrade quite by accident. I didn't dwell too much on the technicalities of it, but he said it had to do the the alignment of the grain of the spruce sound peg with the blocks inside of the violin. I would like to thank everyone for their support during this rather trying time for me, but it will all be over on Friday when the upgrade is performed!!!

: Wishing you all the very best,

: Linda :)

Linda, I couldn't agree more with what both Steveg (ealier) said and now G Gregory - please give the name of your would-be repairer to someone here or all of us - if you are reporting more or less acurately what he says it's absolute gibberish to anyone who knows anything about violins. Don't spend a penny more until you sort this out! You have been warned!

ig.

... it is now clear that Linda is doing some serious leg-pulling, and many of you are falling for it. If she were serious, she would have listened to you and would be questioning the luthier's claims, but she's not doing that at all. Now give her a good handshake and tell her to let go of your leg...

-v