Maestronet Forums

My friend thinks she can teach violin

Daisy

I have a friend who has decided to start teaching violin lessons to some young students. I've hinted that she shouldn't try it for several reasons.

1. She has quit taking lessons herself and doesn't practice regularly

2. She is only 17 and has no experience teaching.

3. She doesn't play very well and has poor technique (she played Meditation from Thais last year and I must say did a bad job of it - bad rythm, terrible tone.)

4. The things she does do right, she has no idea how she does them- it just 'works'.

She's doing it because she needs the money (and I can understand that!) but I'm worried for her students. My first teachers were very bad, and were it not for an excellent teacher I stumbled upon, I probably wouldn't be playing. As it was, it took me years to fix all my bad habits. Is the same thing going to happen with my friend's students, or am I overparanoid?

Hi.

Over paranoid, no! Is she teaching now, or just wanting to? If what you say is true then I'd worry about her students. It's true that you don't have to be the greatest violinist in the world to teach, we're not all Heifetz (wouldn't it been cool to have had him as teacher though :) ). If she's teaching just for the money, tell her that there are things much more important than money, music for one thing. Who is letting her teach? Is she working with another teacher, or did she place ads for students? If she's determined to teach no matter what, there's probably not much you can do to stop her insanity, just endure it. Or... you could superglue the door of her room shut so she can't get out to teach, then you tell her students to run and be one with the wind hehehe :)

Good Luck (for you and her students)

Ben

Ben: Thanks, I was wondering who was crazy! As far as I know, she's teaching now. She's working on her own- she had a falling-out with her last teacher over her playing level and her teacher's "perfectionism". Between posters and word of mouth she has 2 or 3 students. I know it's not many but *I* wasn't many either when I started. I've told her what happened to me, and hinted gently that she shouldn't try to teach right now, but she's a little dense when it comes to advice. I hate to tell her right out that she isn't good enough to teach. I dunno... thanks anyway. I thought maybe it was just me.

: Hi.

: Over paranoid, no! Is she teaching now, or just wanting to? If what you say is true then I'd worry about her students. It's true that you don't have to be the greatest violinist in the world to teach, we're not all Heifetz (wouldn't it been cool to have had him as teacher though :) ). If she's teaching just for the money, tell her that there are things much more important than money, music for one thing. Who is letting her teach? Is she working with another teacher, or did she place ads for students? If she's determined to teach no matter what, there's probably not much you can do to stop her insanity, just endure it. Or... you could superglue the door of her room shut so she can't get out to teach, then you tell her students to run and be one with the wind hehehe :)

: Good Luck (for you and her students)

: Ben

Dear Daisy,

Maybe you could ask to watch a lesson and see

how and what she is doing. How is she with

people? Can she explain things well?

It doesn'T sound like she would be a good

teacher, though. If I were you I would

probably gather up my courage and tell

her in a kind way about the bad experience

you had. Then point out what might happen

to children in general who start off with

a bad teacher. Collect some good arguments

and tell her in a factual manner.

You will probably hurt her feelings whatever

you do, so be prepared for the consequences.

In the end, you will have to decide between

following your musical concience and telling

the truth, or keeping your mouth shut.

Good luck, tell us what happens!

Melinda

: I have a friend who has decided to start teaching violin lessons to some young students. I've hinted that she shouldn't try it for several reasons.

: 1. She has quit taking lessons herself and doesn't practice regularly

: 2. She is only 17 and has no experience teaching.

: 3. She doesn't play very well and has poor technique (she played Meditation from Thais last year and I must say did a bad job of it - bad rythm, terrible tone.)

: 4. The things she does do right, she has no idea how she does them- it just 'works'.

: She's doing it because she needs the money (and I can understand that!) but I'm worried for her students. My first teachers were very bad, and were it not for an excellent teacher I stumbled upon, I probably wouldn't be playing. As it was, it took me years to fix all my bad habits. Is the same thing going to happen with my friend's students, or am I overparanoid?

Around here it seems like there are a lot of people who started teaching for the money even though they have no particular talent for it and no love for it. You've heard the saying, "Those who can do, those who can't teach?" Sometimes this is sad but true. There are thousands of teachers just like your friend out there. You would be doing the world a favor if you could talk her out of teaching. Sigh...we need a super hero to help rid the earth of mediocre/bad string teachers.

Daisy,

A lot of people teach for the money!! I teach a full load, have for years, but I consider teaching AND technique an ongoing quest. You have to fight and push to improve, improve, and not get stale. I recently lost a student (after 1 lesson, which was supposed to be enough to prepare her for an audition!!) because the mother wanted her to take from a high school kid; they're more flexible, she says. The child NEEDS lessons. This drives me crazy, I could go on & on (have, haven't I?)

V.V.

: I have a friend who has decided to start teaching violin lessons to some young students. I've hinted that she shouldn't try it for several reasons.

: 1. She has quit taking lessons herself and doesn't practice regularly

: 2. She is only 17 and has no experience teaching.

: 3. She doesn't play very well and has poor technique (she played Meditation from Thais last year and I must say did a bad job of it - bad rythm, terrible tone.)

: 4. The things she does do right, she has no idea how she does them- it just 'works'.

: She's doing it because she needs the money (and I can understand that!) but I'm worried for her students. My first teachers were very bad, and were it not for an excellent teacher I stumbled upon, I probably wouldn't be playing. As it was, it took me years to fix all my bad habits. Is the same thing going to happen with my friend's students, or am I overparanoid?